Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetartemoreon - 1/48th stater lion head  (Read 534 times)

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
Tetartemoreon - 1/48th stater lion head
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:05:43 am »
Please help me to identify this one. I don't understand the reverse. I'm sorry for the unclear photos but the coin is very tiny.

Regards

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Tetartemoreon - 1/48th stater lion head
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:38:43 am »
The reverse is just an irregular punch mark and I think the obverse is not a lion.
In my opinion, it's this type:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2147922
Andreas Reich

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:45:24 am »
Thank you. I've seen that coin before too but i tought it was different from my coin. The forehead to the nose seems straight from your example, and more examples i've seen with that ref. That's why i tought to see a lion head.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »
These come with a lot of different nose types, from straight and thin to globular.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity