Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 29mm Nightmare coin, is it even possible??  (Read 426 times)

Offline David P7

• Legionary
29mm Nightmare coin, is it even possible??
« on: March 23, 2023, 08:20:51 am »
I picked up a few uncleaned coins, have some promising ones but this was in the pile, its 29 mm and looks like a coral reef.
Heavily encrusted and hard as a rock, even looks like some small rocks imbedded in it.
Is it even possible to clean this?

Cheers

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: 29mm Nightmare coin, is it even possible??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 01:32:31 pm »
Definitely cleanable with proper technique. DW soaks won't do it for that one. You'll need to mechanically clean it. Scalpel under microscope, I'd say.

You could initially and sparingly use sole lemon or lime juice on a q tip to loosen some outer layers, the neutralize in DW, to see if it helps before moving on to just scalpling.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline David P7

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 03:42:19 pm »
Thanks,
So no miniature jack hammer then!
If it ever looks like a coin again i will post a pic.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 01:43:27 pm »

Certainly worth attempting some soaking and mechanical cleaning by blade or diamond encrusted bit as Ron suggests, but ultimately that one may be for the methods of last result-- chemical stripping or electrolysis.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity