Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Re: Byzantine coin for ID  (Read 2678 times)

Offline MikkaS

• Praetorian
Re: Byzantine coin for ID
« on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:18 am »
Hello!
Please, help we with this coin.
Thank you very much.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 05:52:07 pm »
I would venture a opinion that it's a Arab-Byzantine half-follis.

Not able to date these, lots of "imitative" with wide variation of devices and inscriptions.

cw

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 07:24:18 am »
I have never seen an Arab-Byzantine imitative half-follis. Foss mentions that "Engimatic folles dated 634-36 appear to be a product of these last years of Byzantine control and resistance." He adds, "A 20-nummi (K) piece appears to belong to the same series, though its details are obscure." [Foss, Arab-Byzantine Coins , p 14f.] So perhaps your coin comes from the final chaotic years of Byzantine Syria rather than the early years of the Caliphate? But the date on your coin (if we believe it) is XUIII = 627/8 which is earlier than Foss allows and right at the end of the Persian occupation period. Still, I don't have a better suggestion.

Bill R.  

Offline MikkaS

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 12:38:32 am »
@wileyc, Abu Galyon

Thank you very much.
Looks to be an interesting coin! I'll try to find the book to find more informations.

Thnaks again!

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:46:42 pm »
This is an overstruck coin, rather than an imitation.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity