Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian Ric ?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
Vespasian Ric ?
« on: October 20, 2021, 12:46:23 pm »
I have a problem where to assign it as a Vespasian Ric 16 or to the Tarraco mint 1302 ?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Vespasian Ric ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 05:52:09 pm »
 I would say Tarraco

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 01:09:56 am »
I would say Tarraco

Thanks Jay GT4 for comfirming my suspicions that he is closer to Terraco than to Rome. The remaining question is is this a new variation or is it catching up to Ric 1302 ? because it seems a little different, Vespasian looks a little younger , on the reverse aswell, as if I coult see some differences.

regards

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:25:55 am »
I wouldn't bother about differences in the "look" of Vespasian. I just looked on CoinArchives Pro and there are about half a dozen different types of head, some thin and bony, others a bit fatter. The same applies to the images on the reverse - numerous very different renditions of the Caesars' heads, size, hair lines, expressions etc.

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 12:03:48 pm »
Actually, I do not attach so much importance to these details, only that I noticed that I already have in my collection such a denarius described as Rome Ric 16, and now I wonder if he, like the earlier one, should not fall under the Terraso Ric 1302?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 07:51:44 am »
Well I showed it to David Atherton and he says it's Rome mint.  If anyone knows it's him so I defer to his opinion. 

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 11:48:50 am »
Thank you, so we already have clarity, it is said a pity and the search continues for Terraco  ;)

regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity