Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rhodes Diobol.... SNG Keckman 511 - 529  (Read 785 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Rhodes Diobol.... SNG Keckman 511 - 529
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this dirty little thing, and I cant wait to get my hands on it... It is the first uncleaned silver coin I have bought with the intent to restore it to some of its former glory... ( with a steady hand and some luck!! )

I will post updates with my method of choosing when the coin arrives!!

Lee.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Rhodes Diobol.... SNG Keckman 511 - 529
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:53:58 am »
Interesting to see how that cleans up.  How small is that?  Under 10 mm??

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:29:57 am »
Well, the coin arrived, unfortunately with a little chip,  >:( , but the price was right and I am pleased with the results of my clean so no real grumbles!

All I used for this clean was lemon juice on a q tip using VERY gentle circular motions.. Then when I was happy with the result I brushed it for 5 min under the tap with a soft toothbrush..

I am happy to have removed the worst of the grime and left most of the toning intact..

I will measure the diameter when I give it a more accurate attribution later this week but no lager than 10mm I'm sure.

( that is 2 out of my last 2 Rhodian silver coins that has arrived chipped... Am I just unlucky or is there something about Rhodian silver that makes it more fragile I wonder?? )

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
The coin is very clearly crystallized so handle with care. The darkish exterior layer and the silvery-white core are pretty diagnostic of the crystallized state. Nobody is quite sure why some ancient silver coins become brittle and others of the same type are sound as a bell.  Possibilities include the presence of impurities or differences in the heat treatment of the coins during manufacture. Nice little coin anyhow

Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity