Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Book Recommendations for Roman Republic  (Read 1544 times)

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
Book Recommendations for Roman Republic
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:02:39 pm »
Now that I've limited my self to Roman Republic, Seleukids, and Carthage Coins....I'm looking to find out more info on RR books.

Roman Republic recommendations? Where should I start...where should I put my money?

I currently have

Roman Coins and their values  Sear
Roman Silver coins Vol 1, Seaby
RR Moneyers and their coins  81-64bce

Thank you in advance for all suggestions, input, etc.

Cary Riggs

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Book Recommendations for Roman Republic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
Any $$$$ limits.

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:07:13 pm »
As to money limits....I'm a high school Latin teacher....
so...I might have to save up a bit.  (But I just bought Houghton's Seclucid Part one and almost ready to buy part two.)

So 2000 or under I could end up getting....much more than that, not very likely.

Cary

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
Budget no problem then.
Personally I own Crawford and Corpus Numorum Romanorum ( Banti), besides RSC.
For more   http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »
Thanks Benito!  Guess I start saving those pennies for the Crawford....
                         Found two sets already....Gee, wouldn't it be nice to be rich!

Cary

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:17:12 pm »
At this point I would have to ask, "What it is that you want to get out of a new book that is not covered in the ones you have and free online resources?"  Considering Andrew McCabe's site and the massive British Museum image bank online, you may find that many other books will either duplicate or be made obsolete by something you already have.  Crawford might be good but is it worth the money to you?  Another area to consider would be to add a few of the better auction catalogs and slender collection catalogs of RR coins.  For example, I have a thin paperback Roman Republican Coins in the Royal Ontario Museum by Alison Harle Easson which is handy as a flip through reference to find a coin quickly and get a starting point reference (usually a Crawford number) which will make it easier to find that section in the British Museum resource.  

Obviously the McCabe reviews linked previously are a better guide than anything I might have to say considering that I barely collect Republicans (possibly 100 coins) but whatever the subject, I might suggest going slow on the purchase of older books (in this case, pre 1970?) unless your main interest is the history of the study of the series rather than the coins themselves.  The existence of online references has and will continue to change the way we proceed when entering a new field of study.  Certainly we will want the basic standard references but I believe my original question regarding what you find lacking in the references you already have (paper and Internet) needs to be answered before it will do good to ask anyone (probably Andrew) where to go next.   Do you want a better explanation on the meanings of types?  Do you need a more complete list of minor types or recently discovered rarities?  Do you seek more biographical information on moneyers and their families?  

PS:  In this I do not mean to say that books are outmoded but just that one should buy what fits the current needs and level.  Even the BM resource has what I would call embarrassing errors and my paper library is not strong enough to prove what they say is questionable.  For example, this week I bought a Crawford 379/2 and looked it up on the BM site.  The first of their 7 coins (5 photographed) is flagged: 'The coin has been damaged on the reverse, possibly intentionally'.  The photo shows a coin struck on a weight adjusted flan.  
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/publications/online_research_catalogues/search_object_details.aspx?objectId=1151705&partId=1&searchText=379%2f2&orig=%2fresearch%2fpublications%2fonline_research_catalogues%2frussian_icons%2fcatalogue_of_russian_icons.aspx&sortBy=catNumber&numpages=12&catalogueOnly=true&catparentPageId=29126&output=bibliography/!!/OR/!!/6738/!//!/A%20catalogue%20of%20the%20Roman%20Republican%20Coins%20in%20the%20British%20Museum,%20with%20descriptions%20and%20chronology%20based%20on%20M.H.%20Crawford,%20Roman%20Republican%20Coinage%20(1974)/!//!!//!!!/&currentPage=1

If you search Andrew's articles you will find this:
http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/Mints.html#stannard

The BM site is more valuable to me for images of issues with a large number of minor devices in the field than for the ones like this where there is not so much variety.

I suggest you put off buying any more books until you have read and digested Andrew's site including the book reviews that might just prove helpful in deciding which books will further your education and which will just weigh down your shelves.  

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:37:11 pm »
At this point I would have to ask, "What it is that you want to get out of a new book that is not covered in the ones you have and free online resources?"  

Thanks for your reply.   A lot of good sense in it.  As for the books, well....
Hard one to answer.  Easiest to say I'm a book lover.  But in reality for the same reasons I have multiple books on pompeii, multiple dictionaries,30 or more different Latin textbooks, multiple biographies of the same emperor or personage, racks of books on the greek and roman art...because one might just have something the other one didn't or see it in a
different way.  As for book versus online....while I love the internet, I'm old enough to prefer sitting hunched over a pile a books...still dream of owning a full 22 vol set of the OED instead of the Compact. Years ago I read the line "pouring over his books"  and I understand that line somewhere deep down in me and it is wonderful.

Oddly enough, right now I feel more willing to spend that type of money on books than I do on coins...I trust as I learn more that will change.

PS ;D and yes I was that weird guy at school who loved doing research papers with all those  stacks and stacks note cards.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »
I personally find Crawford very scientific and difficult to use...but I'm not very smart.   :tongue:

My favorite book of all is The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators by David Sear (CRI).  Of course, it only covers the period between the Rubicon and shortly after Actium but it has tons of pictures, good explanations of the coins and the historical context in which they were produced.  It also has a good concordances section in the back with other major references as well as relative rarity across multiple rating scales.  It's like a $90 retail book that can still be had new and you can even get one autographed to you if you buy it directly from David Sear, the author.  Just google him. 

The others that you mentioned are good too.  That should do you for a while IMO. 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:25:28 pm »
Now that I've limited my self to Roman Republic, Seleukids, and Carthage Coins....I'm looking to find out more info on RR books.

Roman Republic recommendations? Where should I start...where should I put my money?

I currently have

Roman Coins and their values  Sear
Roman Silver coins Vol 1, Seaby
RR Moneyers and their coins  81-64bce

Thank you in advance for all suggestions, input, etc.

Cary Riggs

Sear's HCRI, as Doug suggested, is very good.

RR moneyers and their coins (either volume) is interesting and educational about Roman history, but I cannot support the numismatic techniques used (especially the inconsistent use of hoard evidence) and other very speculative means of arriving at dates (I posted my critical review, from the Numismatic Chronicle 2012, on Forvm). As a result, some dates are necessarily wrong and others are wild guesses. But if this doesn't bother you, it's a nice read.

RSC1, written by H.A. Seaby is also very good. It's better than Sear's handbook, because it lists all the types and it also contains hundreds of potted histories of the types. I've issues with the Sear handbook (RCTV). It misses out large areas of the silver coinage completely, and what it gains, in terms of bronzes, are badly treated. Frankly, if you own RSC1, and are interested in the Roman Republic, then Sear RCTV can be thrown out - it adds nothing at all.

If you want a decent overview of RR coinage, you could do worse than add the two RBW collection catalogues, NAC61 and NAC63. These, together, treat the bronze coinage better than Crawford's own catalogue, illustrate far more types, and is vastly superior to Sear's RCTV as a reference work for coins in all metals.

Crawford: noted the views of cartago above. I would however note that Crawford writes in an extremely condensed manner. The flip-side of this is that you get a lot of bang for your buck as it were - there is a simply vast quantity of information if you care to look for it. You might buy it now and hardly understand it but in 20 years it makes a lot more sense.

If you like old books, then why not add Grueber's british museum catalogue to the list? It has the advantage of treating the stories behind the coins better than Crawford. And, perhaps even better, less expensive and an easier read is Smyth's 1856 catalogue of the Duke of Northumberland collection. Widely available in the original hardback, it does nothing except tell the stories behind the coin types, and it does it very well indeed, and very entertainingly too. Also, on the old book theme, why not add a few volumes of Loeb's Livy. Beatifully bound and a pleasure to read with poetic English, and intelligent notes.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:34 pm »
If you want a decent overview of RR coinage, you could do worse than add the two RBW collection catalogues, NAC61 and NAC63. These, together, treat the bronze coinage better than Crawford's own catalogue, illustrate far more types, and is vastly superior to Sear's RCTV as a reference work for coins in all metals.

Yes, Andrew, very good.  I totally overlooked some of the auction catalogues.  I take them for granted I guess.  The RBW collection offered by NAC last year is a fantastic suggestion and probably reasonably obtainable today. 

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:57 am »
Wow!  Thanks for all the info Carthago and Andrew!  I'm excited about the lists and will start picking away at them.  RE LIVY:  I have a 17 vol set, in Latin, that is among my favorites.
This group is superb!  Thanks again.

Cary Riggs

Offline Ted

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »
The NAC catalogues are extremely cheaply obtainable, in that they are available as free PDFs from NAC's website...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity