Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Verus provincial help  (Read 847 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Verus provincial help
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »
Hi,

I need some help to determine the mint place of this provincial of L.Verus,
almost nothing is left from the reverse inscription.
Coin is 30 mm large, Hygeia feeding snake from a patera reverse type.

Thanks in advance

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Re: Verus provincial help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »
Looks like Caracalla from Marcianopolis to me.  I'll check Hr&J and Varbanov when I get home unless someone beats me to it.

Kurt

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:21:08 pm »
Very pretty.  Can I read, at least, IAL at about 2h on the reverse?  That isn't much, of course.
Also, is it about 26-28mm diam. and does it weigh about 10-12gr.?  And is the color of the metal accurate in your photo?  I think not.
Pat L.
If that is Caracalla, then I think it is not Marcianopolis (doesn't look it, either).

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »
Verus seems to be required and Caracalla excluded by the legend beginning AV KAI L AVPH.
Curtis Clay

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »
My apologies.  I thought I was reading IANOPO on the right side of the reverse legend and jumped to conclusions without consulting any resources.

Kurt

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:46:59 am »
Actually, you may be right Kurt E. What I think I can read is also IANOPO, or similar.
I searched Varbanov, various cities which fit that, whith no result .Size is 30 - 31 mm with a sure, weight 17.20 gr
and that is the real colour.  As  far as I can read it must be OVIROC on the obverse - so it is Verus.
At first it looked to me as Aurelius, or even Commodus,  but l found it's Verus exactly by the legend, as Curtisclay wrote.

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

I'm inclined to think that this could be a Hadrianopolis coin. Seems that such type reverses depicting
health deities are common for a lot of large coins issued by the Antonines. What's left from the reverse
inscription -  IANOPO, which also as a lettering is similar to some of those? Hope someone is still interested

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
Dear Geta & Board,

Everybody was on the right track.  The city is Traianopolis.  I just matched the obverse die to this plaster cast on RPC IV Online:  

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/10361/

Certainly not the same reverse as on the coin in question.  Since it is the same story with all of the other issues from this city, Geta could well have an unrecorded coin type.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to submit images for inclusion on the site, along with the coin's weight, diameter, etc.  I know Volker Heuchert would be very happy to receive such a submission, including mine---once I ever get to them...

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan  

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
Thanks Mark,

I must admit that I checked Traianopolis only at Wildwinds, where almost
nothing's listed, and later somehow missed it in Varbanov. At RPC Online I only
searched for the Hygeia reverse type. Obviously you've been far more patient in
your search there - thanks again !