Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: can't shake the BD.  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
can't shake the BD.
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:53:50 pm »
I have several coins that have BD.
I had soaked them in BD killer for 2 days and they came out reddish,
the blue was gone then they sat for about two weeks
and the BD came back.
Can someone tell me how to treat BD with  BD killer?
How long to soak,when to brush/pick?
How do I treat this?
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: can't shake the BD.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:48:49 pm »
I'm having the same problem with a kushan coin(except it comes back in days),and the only thing I can think of is a stronger solution with less water and more sesquicarbonate.
All the best
Josh

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:53:38 pm »
Are yours coming out reddish,also?

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:56:13 pm »
Yes, the red signifies defeated bd, I think.... lol
Josh

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:22 pm »
I found an interesting article about bronze disease and its treatment on coins here:
http://crescentcitycoinclub.org/seminars_and_programs/Bronze%20Disease.pdf

If you're having problems with BD, check out that link.
Danny

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
can't shake the BD
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »
Yes, and notice what they say about Renaissance "Wax".  I do use it on basket-case coins, which I know are worthless except for study and which I know I will lose if I don't stop reoccurrence--like that Alex. Troas Commodus with rev. Eagle with calf's head that I used here as an exhibit, a coin that I KNOW is diseased through and through.
Pat L.
Here's The one I actually BOUGHT the Ren. Wax for; the pale stuff in the cracks of the final photo is actually the Ren Wax.  Even so I may lose the coin.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=43730.0

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »
Pat,
That is a very informative thread with a visual history of how you treated BD in your coin. Have you seen any occurrences of bronze disease returning to that particular piece after treatment?

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 02:20:00 am »
Just what I asked myself.  But since I must have put it somewhere apart, where I could watch it (and it couldn't infect others), it is not in the Asia Minor box, and it may take me a while to locate it...
Pat L.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:14:07 pm »
You can get rid of BD, but it takes patience. Not only do you need to soak the coin(s), but you need to remove as much of the green coating as possible, especially in the pit areas. The BD killer cannot always soak through the green formed by the BD, so it does need some help. I recommend 24 hour soak, heated is best, then a good scrub, followed by another hot soak. This does help the dissolution of the chlorides, and the scrubbing exposed new surfaces. Also the BD killer solution needs to be stirred or shaken. the chlorides that are leached out of the coin are in solution near the surface of the coin, this makes it harder for fresh solution to reach the problem areas.

It would also help if you could post pictures/scan of the coins involved. PS - that article from the crescent city coin club is really poor. Read the one posted on Forum, then look  up the attached reference.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:51:41 pm »
Thanks bruce61813,
So its a 24 hour hot BD killer soak ,pick/brush,another 24 hour soak,pick/brush,
then let it sit and watch to see if it came back ?If it does, start the cycle again ?
I am using a baby food jar,can I keep reusing the same mix ?

Please look for a picture in my next  post about the reddish after color.
     Again thanks for the help

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »
If you are using a small amount of the BD Killer solution, say 1 or 2 ounces, I would discard it after 72 hours. It may become more saturated with the chlorides it is trying to extract, and as the chemical gradient changes, it's ability to remove the chlorides is reduced.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 11:56:52 pm »
Bet you thought I'd lost that coin (see above reply of Sept. 2).  No, I'd put it in one of the boxes that had fresh silica gel packets a-plenty, but I didn't put a paper tag in the other half of the flip.
And it was in a mixed Thracian box...
Anyway, here it is.  I am relieved to see that no BD has returned, so I took a new photo.  But, as I said, I was new with RenWax, and the creamy stuff is dry wax.  Later I may try to remove it, but the coin is really fragile, so I am tempted just to look for another Eagle with calf's head.
The process images to compare are in the reply above of Sept. 1.
Pat L.
CLICK

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 06:42:54 am »
It's amazing how good a coin can still look after being treated for bronze disease. I just treated a few coins that BD popped up on this week. There were a couple of them that I thought the BD would cause severe pitting, but after the treatment, it's almost unnoticeable. 

Pat, your coin looks fine. If you could remove the excess wax without harming the coin, it would look even better. Of course, if you're like me, I'm always in the market for nicer examples of coins that I already have.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:23 am »
That link about bd was a bit misleading about silica gel.

When it says "silica gel must be either replenished or rested regularly in order to maintain its quartz-like properties," it is off on completely the wrong track.  Quartz does not absorb moisture.  It is a non-porous form of the same basic substance, and appears as clear or coloured crystals, often semi-precious substances such as rose quartz and amethyst. These are no good as dehumidifiers!

And you don't need to buy new. It can be refreshed by heating (not "resting"). Wikipedia says "Once saturated with water, the gel can be regenerated by heating it to 120 °C (250 °F) for two hours."

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity