Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Egypt ptolemy ae42  (Read 969 times)

Offline Jesse M2

• Praetorian
Egypt ptolemy ae42
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
Are these supposed to have cast marks on the edges like this?  I bought this from someone would purchased it from a reputable seller, but the seller does not specialize in ancients.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Egypt ptolemy ae42
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:50:11 pm »
Quote from: Jesse M2 on November 20, 2016, 01:09:20 pm
Are these supposed to have cast marks on the edges like this?  I bought this from someone would purchased it from a reputable seller, but the seller does not specialize in ancients.

You can compare yours with many other similar coins.  Start at

www.ptolemybronze.com

and click on the 'coin photos' link to see many others.

PtolemAE

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:24:18 pm »
The flans were cast and usually have a beveled edge with a seam.  This is completely normal.

Offline Jesse M2

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »
The flans were cast and usually have a beveled edge with a seam.  This is completely normal.

Thanks so much for the reply.  Ive been researching a lot and I just couldn't figure this one out.

Offline Jesse M2

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 01:25:49 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on November 20, 2016, 06:50:11 pm

www.ptolemybronze.com

PtolemAE

That's a great resource.  I sent a long time on there lol.  They didnt have the edge information unfortunately.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:28 pm »
Quote from: Jesse M2 on November 22, 2016, 01:25:49 pm
Quote from: PtolemAE on November 20, 2016, 06:50:11 pm

www.ptolemybronze.com

PtolemAE

That's a great resource.  I sent a long time on there lol.  They didnt have the edge information unfortunately.

Exact appearance of edges varies a great deal on the hundreds of different types of Ptolemaic bronzes.  Some are highly regular, some are 'beveled' usually with the reverse a bit larger, and some are beveled from both sides like this one.  Others that are perfectly OK appear to have 'file marks' (apparently where casting sprues were removed) that would make some people suspicious who are familiar with 'filed edge' fake coins, many have some degree of cracks or other irregularities including prominent remains of casting sprues with an almost triangular cross-section, etc.  Nothing about yours looks especially odd.  The metal discs were cast, then often smoothed in a mechanical device, then struck.  The mechanism of striking of these very large sizes remains unknown as the force required to do it had to be enormous on such a large surface area.

Enjoy - always cool to have ancient coins like this that are so big and impressive.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity