Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Value of oil lamps  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
Value of oil lamps
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:12:28 pm »
Anybody know the relative value in ancient Greece during archaic or classical times of a common oil lamp in relation to a common foodstuff, such as a tunny fish, a hare, or a goose? In other words, how many oil lamps would one tunny fish be worth, or conversely, how many tunny fish would one oil lamp be worth? Roughly.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Strobilus

Re: Value of oil lamps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:07 am »
This is an aspect of ancient lamps that is indeed fascinating - how the objects related to their social context rather than merely identifying the objects themselves. I certainly remember reading research into the relative contemporary value of lamps from at least one region during Roman times - and I'm sure there is similar research relating to the era of Classical Greece too (very possibly in Howland or Broneer) - but sadly I cannot remember the details. Most of my books, archives and research material are in storage at present and inaccessible so I don't even have the chance to refresh my memory at the moment!

Certainly, basic pottery lamps, apparently used for votive purposes and numbering literally in their thousands, have been found buried in pits at temple sites in Greece - suggesting they were extremely cheap - but that's all a bit vaguer than the info you really want. If I come across anything a bit more specific I'll post it here.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity