Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)  (Read 4578 times)

tkonnova

Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
Hi all,

Ive got another lamp, not sure if it is authentic or not. Any help with attribution would be greatly appreciated =)

Thanks all!

Strobilus

Re: Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »
This type of lamp was made in the Levantine region of northern Jordan and parts of northern Israel in the 6th - early 7th centuries AD.

Although lamps from this region have been extensively faked, this example does appear to be authentic from the images.

tkonnova

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:44 am »
Hi all,

Thanks Strobilus, that certainly looks right from other examples of the type you suggested.

Can anyone suggest a method of cleaning i might use to remove more of the sandy/crusty dirt that is encasing my lamp?

Thanks all!

seth

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:43:45 pm »
id say you leave it be. the deposits dont affect the details as far as i can see in the pics.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity