Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Tessera with Hippodrome?, Barge? or Hieroglyph? Caesarea Maritima  (Read 603 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Hi, all.  Here is a very difficult, tiny lead tessera in poor shape. In fact I almost gave up on it but I found with a strong side light I was able to discern an image on one side.  There is something on the reverse also, but I can't make anything out.  Caesarea had two hippodromes in its history, one from the Herodian era and a later one inland from the harbour, but I have never heard of any such representation on a tessera.  Rotating the axis gives suggestions of a barge with water below, or a design reminiscent of a Hieroglyph, but I am really at a loss here for a clear explanation.  Below are various orientations and a drawing of what I think I can see.  Any ideas would be most welcome.    Thanks, Jimi

BCC LT109
Lead Tessera
Roman 1st-4th Century CE
Obv: Uncertain type.  Hippodrome?
Barge? or Hieroglyph?
Rev: Uncertain type, extremely
faint image.
Pb12.5 x 10.5 x 1.0mm. 0.88gm.
Surface find Caesarea Maritima ca. 1970's
(click for larger pics)
Tessera gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5157

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Lead Tessera with Hippodrome?, Barge? or Hieroglyph? Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 10:38:50 pm »
Well, I am starting to think the idea of a hippodrome motif for this unique tessera is very plausible.  Caesarea Maritima had two hippodromes, one from the original Herodian city construction, and a larger one from dating from the first half of the 2nd century CE.  The earlier circus was a seaside "U-shaped" structure mentioned by Josephus and located north of the "Promontory Palace" and south of the central harbour.  This structure has recently been uncovered and partially restored by archaeologists, and is shown in this aerial photo from Wikipedia.  The orientation exactly matches the image on the tessera with the ocean waves on the left!  As always, any comments or ideas are welcome.
(Aerial Photo by:אסף.צ [Assaf.C])

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 10:47:55 pm »
Excellent detective work.  It also reminds me of the Arados staters with water and boat.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 10:55:20 pm »
Thank you, Jay.  My colleague in Israel, Dr. Yoav Farhi, also helped point me to the seaside hippodrome, which was still unknown when I was working there in the 1970's.  We are hoping to publish the entire collection some day, along with another large assemblage of tesserae from the site.  It should be very interesting.

Best regards, Jimi

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 04:33:09 am »
One more observation.  The tessera is in very poor condition, but I have noticed a couple of other things, now.  On either side of the U on the tessera, are distinct features that I believe could correspond to actual features on the ground.  On the left is a semicircular protrusion that lines up with the projection along the shoreline, of a now submerged reef, visible in the photo above.  And on the right is a rectangular feature that could correspond to an excavated structure also visible in this more vertical photo.  Ok, still not proof, but tantalizing nonetheless!  We can only hope that a better preserved specimen will someday turn up.  Thanks, again.  Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity