Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What does Cr. 352/1c mean?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
What does Cr. 352/1c mean?
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:29:20 pm »
Long version:
Hello all, great forum you guys have here.  I just got my first 2 coins and have been trying to find out all that I can about them.  Yesterday I spent all day scouring historical journals and this forum to pretty much make myself an expert in one.  Today I am trying to get the second one done and have a question that is probably basic, but I can't seem to find the answer.  On my Julius Bursio denarius the accompanying slip of paper has "Cr. 352/1c" written on it.  I have seen similar annotation on other coins, but what does it mean?  

This really is an awesome forum btw, after all day scouring my university libraries databases and online articles, it took looking through the gallery of previously sold coins here to figure out what the greek on my Augustus and Livia jugate coin said.  Heh heh, was afraid I was going to have to accost a waiter at a local gyro joint.  So far so good though, I enjoy the hunt.  I have 10 uncleaned coins soaking in olive oil, 10 more on the way and I can't wait to get my hands on them and hopefully not mangle more than a few.  I look forward to joining discussions once I learn a little bit.

Short version:

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »
Doh, forgot to say thanks.
Thanks,
Justin

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:40:19 pm »
It is a catalog number. Cr. Stands for Crawford.

Here is a link to coinproject with an example of your coin listed in the page. Well maybe, seems there are multiple different ones listed as 352/1c. Someone more knowledgable will probably chime in.

http://www.coinproject.com/search_emperor.php?emp=L.-Julius-Bursio&city=&type=6

I would upload it here but I'm on my phone

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:41:28 pm »
Cr stands for Crawford as in M.H. Crawford Roman Republican Coins, the seminal work on the series.
It is often cited as CXX/XX, CR XXX/XX, RRC xx /xx, etc...
Other references used for republican coins are the "Roman Silver Coins" series ( buy them, they are inexpensive, easy to use and useful) Volume 1 covers the Republican Era.  Citations to RSC I are by Gens Name and a number Cr 352/1c. is RSC Julia 5.  
Sear, " Roman Coins and Their Values" SRCV is another good series of books Volume 1 again covers the republican period.  Get the Millenium Edition (pub. In 2000) in that your coin is listed as SRCV 268.

Enjoy!  The reading and research is a huge part of the hobby.

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
Re: What does Cr. 352/1c mean?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
And if you are interested in Roman Republican coins, there is a wealth of information at:
http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/#quick

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »
Thanks, I will definitely be getting that series.  Amazon sure wants a lot for the Crawford's books, looks like I will not be getting those ones anytime soon.  The research part appeals to me almost as much as appreciating the artistic aspects of the coins.  History fascinates me and I have really enjoyed finding out what is on these coins and why.  If it is this absorbing when I already know what the coin is, I can't wait to see what happens when I am trying to decipher the ones I am cleaning.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »
If you can't afford Crawford, get Vol 1 of 'Roman Silver Coins'; it doesn't have the detail but it does cover the denarii, and it's not expensive.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »
Notice the references discussed are in blue text.  That means they are links.  You can click on them to learn more about them.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:05 am »
Thanks for the input all, I definitely have a lot to look at now.   :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity