Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An imitative Constantius Follis  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
An imitative Constantius Follis
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »
I thought this coin would be worth sharing as I know we have some people focussing on Tetrarchic coinage here. It comes from a hoard of silvered Tetrarchic folles mainly from Trier with an estimated closing date of 305 AD (guessed from the coins that I've seen). There were only few Lugdunum and Londinium issues and even less from other mints.

This is obviously not a regular issue as the style is quite crude, albeit the legends are perfectly readable. I must say that I very much like the grumpy facial expression.

Obv: CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, naked but for chlamys, holding cornucopiae and patera.
25-27 mm, 9.34 g

The long-necked bust reminds me of some of the unmarked issues from Londinium, so maybe that's what the die cutter copied. The long NOB CAES legend, however, is not listed in RIC for Londinium, so I may well be wrong.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: An imitative Constantius Follis
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »
yeah, I like face as well lol. very interesting coin

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:15:51 pm »
Hi Lars,
I don't doubt your identification of the prototype as a London unmarked follis is correct. I wouldn't worry too much about the longer legend missing from Class IIa unmarked London folles, because (1) these imitative die engravers often combine features of several prototypes and (2) classes IIa and IIb have a certain degree of overlap.
As you know, imitations of 1st tetrarchy folles are scarce. Back in the day when I used to collect barbarous imitations I managed to find only 6, 5 of which had London mint prototypes, 1 Trier.
Regards
Gert

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:18:41 pm »
Hi,

In my London gallery I have a couple of early London imitative folles, although neither is as nice as yours:

Maximianus I
IMP MAXIMIANVS AVG
Laureate, cuirassed bust right
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
Genius standing left
RIC (VI) - (cf17-19) imitation

Maximianus I
IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
Laureate, cuirassed bust right
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
Genius standing left
RIC (VI) 42 imitation