Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Greek with Poseidon  (Read 717 times)

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
Unknown Greek with Poseidon
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:01:39 pm »
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted here.

I have been trying to ID this Greek bronze for a few days now.  FB forums helped in identifying the deity, but I'm still working on it.

20mm

Obv:  Poseidon facing left with trident behind head.
Rev:  Prow left,  :Greek_epsilon: to left,  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omega: below,  :Greek_Lambda: II to right.

Thank you for your help.
Son zeneize, rizo ræo, strenzo i denti e parlo ciæo.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unknown Greek with Poseidon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:21:45 pm »
Dear Libanus93 and Board,

This is a Greek bronze issue of Byzantium struck under the magistrate Pytho[...]:

https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins/1543

What is neat about your piece are the extra letters which seem to extend both the ethnic and magistrate's name.  I am a little busy at the moment, but this would make an excellent research project! 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 12:47:07 am »
Thank you Sir!

Byzantion showed up on some of my searches, but nothing of this type.  I can see the Magistrate's name now-- :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Theta_2: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omega: and perhaps  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Iota: (a date?) to the right of the prow?  Interesting!  I will do a bit more research this week.

Offline Libanus93

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:36:49 pm »
Just did more research.  Schonert-Geiss cross references this piece to Moushmov 2255.  Confirmed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity