Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Do You Have a Favorite Roman Century to Collect?  Multiple choices OK.

Republic
6 (15%)
1st Century
10 (25%)
2nd Century
8 (20%)
3rd Century
10 (25%)
4th Century
5 (12.5%)
5th Century
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Your Favorite Roman Coin Collecting Century  (Read 782 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Your Favorite Roman Coin Collecting Century
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:42:58 pm »
We all have favorites in life.  Each Roman century has its own appealing coin flavors  Which centuries do you find are the most appealing to collect?  Tell us why!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Your Favorite Roman Coin Collecting Century
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:01:28 pm »
Wow.  I am currently the only vote for 4th century.  I must be the last of the "bottom feeders".

Fourth century coinage dominates others in terms of coin finds on sites with long-term occupation and I believe in the market today.

They are the easiest and cheapest for normal people to collect in excellent state.

They span an interesting era with the slow conversion from paganism to Christianity, several civil wars and usurpations, and fascinatingly confusing periods of multiple Emperors.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:06:36 pm »
Wow.  I am currently the only vote for 4th century.  I must be the last of the "bottom feeders".

I personally like all eras and agree with your view of the 4th century. One coin I really want to get at some point is one of Julian the Apostate. That said, while I am fully aware that The Byzantine Empire is the later Roman Empire, there is perhaps a gap in perception by many, including myself, as to what is Roman versus the eastern empire. They are two different things in many ways. I guess for me, the Roman Empire ended earlier, even if that wasn't official.

Who knows.
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:40 pm »
When it comes to Rome you can't beat the Imperatorial and 1st century for all the twists and turns.  And let's face it, everyone has heard of Antony, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Nero.  But I think my favorite are the Flavians. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 08:45:43 pm »
Crisis coinage is always fascinating to me.  For the Roman Republic, the Second Punic War and Imperatorial periods stand out; the Second Punic War for the twists and turns in currency debasement and wholesale re-design, and the Imperatorial era for the cast of historical characters depicted on the coinage.  

Third century Imperial are similarly interesting.  The currency was debased and reformed a few times.  Breakaway kingdoms in England and Gaul are reflected.  Exciting times.

Offline Miguel P

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:17 am »
When it comes to Rome you can't beat the Imperatorial and 1st century for all the twists and turns.  And let's face it, everyone has heard of Antony, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Nero

I totally agree! Prices reflect this though...

I collect a bit of everything, mainly based on eye appeal instead of rarity, but I always find myself going back to 1st century  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity