Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Campgate gaming tokens.  (Read 935 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Campgate gaming tokens.
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:42:51 am »
Dear all,

I noticed that in the last years (3 this year alone that I know of), a small number of modified campgates came up for sale. They are all sold under the assumption that they have been modified as gaming tokens. I have been trying to find some more  information on this gaming token topic but have been unsuccessful. Searching on the boards showed a couple of hits but most of them just speculate and say it is a gaming token. I was wondering if anyone on the boards have some more information on these? My focus is currently only on the campgates, but I assume other coins were modified as well.

My main questions are:
1. Are these really gaming token or were the modifications for other reasons?
2. If they are gaming tokens, does anyone know which games they played with it?
3. So far all the modified coins I've seen were late roman bronze folles. Are there other examples as well? A search on acsearch with the words "gaming token" do not reveal much more.

I attach the pictures of the five modified campgates I know of.

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Campgate gaming tokens.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:27:14 am »
The busts on the third and fourth ones look a bit barbaric, don't they ? Maybe it was one way of getting coins of a dubious mint out of monetary circulation but still giving them a use.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:00:11 pm »
Do the other three look official to you?  The two Rome mint examples strike me as a bit off but I am not an expert in gates.

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:40:09 pm »
Based on some of my other campgates, 2 (Ticinum)  and 5 (Antioch) looks official and 4 (Cyzicus) could be as well. The reverse on 1 seems a bit off and for 3 I am not certain at all. It appears on 3 as if the obverse legend is Crispus but there appears to be extra letters at the end.

The idea that it might be a way to keep demonitised/removed coins around is intriguing. However, would we not see more of these "modified" LRBs around (given the amount of other unofficial coins around)?

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 04:56:27 pm »
Wow ... super cool thread

I sure hope that the coin tokens are legit!

:)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:22 pm »
Fascinating, you are correct in the identification of mints and they do, indeed, look official. Been collecting for decades and never came across Camps as these. Nice little niche field, I would say. Do look to be modified in ancient times. For what purpose?
Hard to say, perhaps decoratives accents of some short? Read somewhere of coins being modified to be utilized for such, even as spaces or washers in assembling furniture.
Neat little collection. Hopefully, another collector can post others with tangible insights.
Thanks for showing them!

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
Thanks for the input, Vincent. Unfortunately I only own one of these. I was outbid on all the rest.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity