Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Republic Denar Help.  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Roman Republic Denar Help.
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »
Hello all!

Well i traded this lovely Denar for some Danish civil war coins. There where an older note (1971) attached just noting is was Roman and from the city of Narbo France.
After som quick Asearch i found this one https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1995531  i believe mine to be the same. Can anyone help me confirm it?  :)
Many thanks Kim

My coin:
Seize: 2cm
Weight:3.83 grams

Offline ThatParthianGuy

• Praetorian
Re: Roman Republic Denar Help.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:00:08 pm »
Wonderful coin! There are a few similar examples of this Narbo issue on wildwinds, but two of them have differing legends. Here is the one that matches the legend on your denarius:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/rsc/licinia/licinia14.jpg

Best,
TPG

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »
The flan looks very peculiar to me, especially on the reverse. Are you confident it is not a cast copy?
Then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be.
PeteB

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:18:14 pm »
Thank you for your kind remark Mr. P  :) Well the link was a bust but i found it anyway. So like this.

L. Licinius Crassus and Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus with L. Pomponius, Denarius serratus, Narbo, 118 BC. L POMPONI CN F, helmeted head of Roma right, X behind head / Bearded warrior, holding shield, carnyx and reins and hurling spear in biga galloping right; L LIC CN DOM below. Licinia 15; Domitia 19; Pomponia 7; Syd. 523; Cr. 282/4.

I feel so lucky getting this coin, that's what i like most about this hobby, my friend got something he loves and the same here!  :)

Cheers Kim

Wildwinds coin in foto.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:24:54 pm »
Hello Pete and Joss. thank you for your comments, Pete do you think a picture of the edge would help to make sure? I can tell it has been too one of Denmarks biggest Auctions houses, but that was in 1994, a lot of new data about fakes i am sure is available now a days.

Well i try with a edge photo. But it is not really clear.  :(

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
Yes, the edge shot is too fuzzy to draw any conclusions. However, there does seem to be some "excess metal" on Roma's helmet and neck, as well as above the biga on the reverse. Perhaps what I "think" I see are just flukes of lighting angles. Or even original manufacturing flan flaws, or later damage in use.
Again, all from a photo and old eyes.
PeteB

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:19:05 pm »
Funny part is, i talked with two of the "Old Guard" collectors from my coin union and they also talked about that they could see where someone have made a test cut on the edge, well they thought is was okay. But as you say one cannot be total sure by a picture, but i hope the best.  ;)

Cheers Kim

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »
Hi Kim,

I have a similar coin (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rr_pt17.htm

My example is Cr. 282/3.

Meepzorp

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
Hi Meepzorp!

Some lovely Denarius you got there friend.  :) I think you are a bit like me having a versatile collection. Well some would say (They cant make a decision on what to collect) Hahahaha!  ;D

Kind regards Kim (Who just like to collect everything that is a coin)  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity