Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Disappearing Uploads in Member's Gallery  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Disappearing Uploads in Member's Gallery
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:16:39 am »

I occasionally have trouble uploading new entries to my member's gallery.  Is there a time limit for the completion of each entry?  This is what happens:  I upload 5 picture files in the 'Add a Coin' screen, press 'Continue' and begin filling in the individual descriptions, then click 'Continue' again after completing the last of the 5 entires. Sometimes I will get a 'Critical Error' screen with the explanation 'Script called without the required parameter'. The entries I have made during the past hour or so will then be lost.  I may be able to save one by using the back button and right click and save the description of the last entered coin, but the rest of my toil is lost.  I do use Greek script, but have done so successfully with plenty of coin entries and am not aware of any deviation from the  Greek script protocol when I get the error message.  This is very frustrating, to say the least.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if yes, what did you do to either salvage your entries or prevent the loss from happening again? I would be really grateful for some pointers here.

Thanks in advance,
Schatz

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Disappearing Uploads in Member's Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »
I have not heard of this problem but I think there are two possible solutions. One would be to upload only one coin (or fewer coins) at a time.  I don't think that would actually slow down the process very much.  Another would be to prepare your entries in advance so you only have to cut and paste them, which would be much faster. It might be possible for us to change the time allowed but we didn't write the gallery software and I would rather not try to make that modification.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:05:15 pm »
Thanks, Joe,

I also have the feeling that my misfortune has something to do with time allotted for the entries. The time-consuming part is the citation of the Greek inscriptions on my Parthian coins, and they probably cannot be prepared in advance as I suspect the Greek characters will not transfer when pasted into the gallery entry form.

I also entered fewer coins at a time (3 or 4) in the past - this usually worked well. It seems I have to pay the price for having delayed preparing my member's gallery for so long - now I am faced with hundreds of coins and trying to get the job done as quickly as possible.

So, two at a time it will be from now on.
Thanks again,
Schatz

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
Dear Schatz and board,

Setting up your computer keyboard for typing in Greek is not hard and Unicode characters are compatible for most online uses (in my experience).  Here is the tutorial that I used:

http://nathanbauman.com/nathanbaumanhowtotypeingreek.html

Please pardon this suggestion if it is old news to you.

I am tired and ready for a nap...

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »
The link immediately above didn't show which key is which....at least on my computer. This is the one I use (upper case).
PeteB

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:34:56 pm »
You could always upload your photographs first with a basic title and then you will have plenty of time to update the descriptions properly using the edit file information button.

*Alex

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

My thanks to Mark, Pete, and Alex for their welcome suggestions I will try them all and see what turns out to suit me best.

In the meantime I have experimented a little bit and found that if I open a blank sheet in Pages (yes, I am on an iMac) the Greek letters I can call up from the Edit drop-down menu (click 'emoji & symbols' at the bottom) will transfer into the gallery entry form.

So it looks as if I have plenty of options now. What a relief!

Schatz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity