Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial in bad shape #1  (Read 371 times)

Boris B

Provincial in bad shape #1
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:24:38 am »
I'm really not good at Roman Provincial coins and I lack the literature, so if you can please help me with two coins. they came in a larger lot and these two are in pretty bad condition, but I thought maybe someone would recognize them anyway.

first one is Hadrian AE 28mm, on reverse Zeus standing left with eagle at feet.

Offline Alexander K

• Praetorian
Re: Provincial in bad shape #1
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »
In my honest, it seems like a coin from Cilician Germanicopolis. Unfortunatelly, I cannot give you a reference to RPC, but I have a pic of similar (?) coin. (attached)

Best,
Alex

Boris B

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:02:09 am »
thank you, the iconography is similar, but it was a very popular reverse type, so this is not it. Any more suggestions ?

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:07 am »
What about this one?

Hadrian, Cilicia Tracheia, Koropissos, AE 29; Obv: AYTOKRATWR KAISAR ADRIANOS, laureate head of Hadrian right; Rv: KOROPISSEWN KHTWN MHTRO, Zeus standing left, holding Patara and sceptre, eagle at his feet left

Ziegler Kilikien299; SNG Levante 583

Regards

Thilo

Boris B

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:10 am »
Looks like you're right Thilo ! thanks a bunch !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity