Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inscription meaning  (Read 11889 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Inscription meaning
« on: January 09, 2003, 03:31:19 pm »
I'm trying to make sense of part of the inscription on the reverse of a Mithridates II drachm, Sellwood type 28.6. It reads ARSAKOU EPIFANOUS (I've transliterated it because I can't make out how to get this thing to write Greek). My Greek is unspeakable, but  I believe it means 'the manifestation of Arsaces', with EPIFANEIA normally being used of the manifestation of a god. So presumably we're into divine kingship, with the ruling king as an appearance of the original god-king. Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Ard

Re: Inscription meaning
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 12:17:56 pm »
Hello Robert,
I think you can see the coin at this website:
http://parthia.com/pdc_triton5.htm

I hope I'm right!

Greetz Ard

EmpressCollector

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 12:21:56 pm »
You are not barking up the wrong tree.  That is entirely what that inscription means.  Similar to Antiochus Epiphanes.

Ard

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 01:27:48 pm »
So I was right....?? :)

I'm sorry for this question, but I don't understand your answer, because I don't understand English very well ::)

Sorry :-[

sejanus

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 01:55:06 pm »
Yes, Ard.  "Not barking ip the wrong tree" is the same as saying "barking up th right tree", which means that you are looking in the correct direction.

Ard

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 01:59:46 pm »
gegege 8)
I'll sleep good tonigth :D :D

Thnx for translation. I'll try to speak and understund English better, but sometimes I need help :)
I'm just 14 years old ::)

sejanus

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 02:10:18 pm »
I will be 14 in 2 months. ;D ;)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 03:25:53 pm »
Sorry, I should use less slang. Thanks for the confirmation; I thought I was on the right lines. I've just bought a Phraates IV (I think), it'll be interesting to see what claims he made for himself.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity