Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Countermarks on an Owl  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
Countermarks on an Owl
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
Greek coins are not my field, but I recently acquired the Athenian owl attached here. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about the countermarks on the obverse - can we tell who or which city/state placed them there? Both seem identical from what I can tell, and appear to be in the form of a five-pointed star or, possibly, and when seen from five o'clock, like a letter A/Aleph with the crossbar placed rather high.

Many thanks for any information or clues as to where to find information.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Countermarks on an Owl
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:46:20 pm »
Perhaps the countermark is an Aleph or a star.  They two countermarks are struck by the same die.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:58 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Can countermarks be tracked down to specific localities or civic authorities? I've found sites on countermarks on Roman coins, but nothing similar for Greek ones.

And is there any reason why the authorities would have countermarked the same coin twice, probably in quick succession if the same die was used - unless it's a double strike?

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:44:39 pm »
I don't know about who/where/when the countermark was applied, but I'm sure there is a reference.  It seems that the countermarks were struck in two successive punches, as their rotation is the same.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

justinopolitanus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »
Could it be an Aegina skew countermark?
There are also Athenian tetradrachms with the turtle countermark on the cheek:
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 03:54:27 pm »
That's an interesting suggestion, many thanks. Depending on the angle, it does resemble the Aegina skew pattern. Are non-turtle-countermarks from Aegina known elsewhere? 

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 06:37:23 pm »
Having asked this question elsewhere as well, someone posted a link to an identical countermark tentatively identified there as - just as Justinopolitanus suggested - Aegina.

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

That'd be really interesting. Would these owls be countermarked after the defeat of Athens in 404 B.C., or would the Athenians tolerate that their recently conquered neighbours punched holes into their overlords' tutelary goddess and pretended not to accept Athenian owls unless countermarked by their own authorities?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28:07 am »
Ok, let's repeat it here ("elsewhere" is the German forum ;) ).

I don't believe in Aegina. If you rotate the countermark so that it looks like an A, then it is axially symmetric.
The incuses on the staters of Aegina are usually not (some are, but with respect to a different axis  :-\ ).

For me the attribution to Aegina is more a promotional argument coming from dealers  ;) , you can sell both Athens and Aegina with only one coin  :laugh: .

Regards

Altamura

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:19 pm »
Fortunately, the seller I got this from limited himself to a non-committal "countermark" and did not try to pass it off as Aegina as the ACSearch link suggests (quite bona-fide given the question mark). ;D Aegina would have sounded rather interesting, but so long as I can, sooner or later, track the countermark down to somewhere, that's fine. Even if I can't, it's still nice to have an Owl:)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
Countermarks such as this were quite rare until a massive hoard with many countermarked and test cuts appeared a few years ago, probably from Syria.  A number of countermarks from this hoard, almost always on Athena's cheek, are Aramaic letters, and this on is probably too, an alph. 

MonetaAntiquus

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »
Setting the countermark aside for the moment, what could be said of the overall style of this tetradrachm? Has anyone seen a match of this Athena or the owl positively identified as a true Athenian tet? To my eyes, the overall style looks more imitative or possibly a copy.  ???

Offline marcos x

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:04 pm »
i see what you are saying the obverse strikes me as a levantine gaza etc.
but im no authority.
my first thought was aegina countermarks but they look too circular.
when I die make sure to put two coins on my eyes for the boatman......make sure they are not fouree's

All coins are guaranteed for eternity