Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Could this be a bulla?

(1/1)

laney:
3.61.g    15.5 X 19.5 mm

This was in a large lot of mixed uncleaned coins.  I posted it on the ID board a long time ago as a possible coin--but apparently it is not.  I'm not even certain of the composition, and don't want to scratch into it to determine whether it is a ceramic or metal.  Do you think it could be a bulla? 
Thanks much.

Laney

casata137ec:
Laney, sorry for getting your hopes up, seeing that I have no idea...BUT...I didn't want the post to fade off into obscurity (out of pure selfishness...that is a really cool...obverse?...and was hoping someone more knowledgable will notice the post!) ;)

Chris

SRukke:

--- Quote from: laney on March 18, 2010, 03:00:45 pm ---3.61.g    15.5 X 19.5 mm

This was in a large lot of mixed uncleaned coins.  I posted it on the ID board a long time ago as a possible coin--but apparently it is not.  I'm not even certain of the composition, and don't want to scratch into it to determine whether it is a ceramic or metal.  Do you think it could be a bulla? 
Thanks much.

Laney

--- End quote ---

I have a few Papal Bulls with the lead seals and yours isn't like any I have seen. If you can't tell it from metal or ceramic it must not be lead. Most were lead and some extremely rare ones were gold. Most have peter and paul on them but not all. You should be able to see where the twine at one time ran through the center of the lead seal. They were attached to papal Bulls with twine and the twine was minted into the center of the seal. Here is a Very Rare one of mine from Pope Callixtus III from 1455 with the original animal skin complete Papal Bull still attached. Written in Roman latin. Very Very rare to have them complete of course. But they are really cool. Send me your email and I can send you a PDF that explains the types of seals used. This document is actually signed by Pope Callixtus and some Cardinals. Scott

laney:
Thanks for trying.  Perhaps it was in a ring or other jewelry or decorative item.
Laney

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version