Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wanted: Images of Tesserae  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Wanted: Images of Tesserae
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:56:57 pm »
At the moment, I'm working on completing my undergraduate thesis on ancient lead tesserae. I'm looking for any images that you may have of the tokens in your private collections, whether in lead or bronze. If you'd prefer, feel free to contact me privately.

Your help is appreciated!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Wanted: Images of Tesserae
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:14:49 pm »
I must admit, I'm a bit hazy on the subject of what is or isn't a tessera.
Here's something that's most likely not a coin, it's AE12, if you're interested in the weight, I'll have to look for it.

Andreas

Andreas Reich

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »
I must admit, I'm a bit hazy on the subject of what is or isn't a tessera.
Here's something that's most likely not a coin, it's AE12, if you're interested in the weight, I'll have to look for it.

Andreas

For a working definition: anything that resembles a coin, but is not.

That's wonderful! Definitely the largest flan I've ever seen this type struck on. Can you get me the eight, and the die axis? We had a brief discussion on these a while back. Compare:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-44922

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »
About 340° and 2.15g. I didn't even think of that one, because mine's much heavier, also cruder.
Andreas Reich

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:55:21 pm »
Lead, 17 mm, 4.0 g, axis 12

obv: Mercurius standing left holding purse (?) and caduceus; to right MF (Mercurius Felix?)
Rev: Iuppiter (?) standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre (no letters readable)

I have not found it in Rostzowzew or supplement

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:44:11 pm »
At the moment, I'm working on completing my undergraduate thesis on ancient lead tesserae. I'm looking for any images that you may have of the tokens in your private collections, whether in lead or bronze. If you'd prefer, feel free to contact me privately.

Here's a couple: the first having an elephant and family name (TORQ.), the second imitative of a coin of C.Piso Frugi of 67BC and with the names FRONT. and FAB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3566170507/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3752085313/

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:38 pm »
How many images are you looking for?  I have collected a few roman tesserae, some AE some Pb, but havent photographed all yet.  Heres a couple:

1. Roman tessera. Pb.  18.3 x 17.6mm.  3.08 g, 12 h.
IV E, NES (in two lines).
Isis std. l. holding sistum and situla.

2. Roman tessera. AE, 16.4 mm, 2.46 g, 5h.
TR (ligate).
G.
Cohen 60 (3 fr.)

Best,
Kevin

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »

Here's a couple: the first having an elephant and family name (TORQ.), the second imitative of a coin of C.Piso Frugi of 67BC and with the names FRONT. and FAB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3566170507/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3752085313/

The elephant is not an uncommon theme on tesserae. Rostowzew catalogs eight with a legend reverse: AVG, CST, LAS (seventeen specimens in museums) LNI, MA, TFN, TMA, SEXTVS (circular), and CERDO. Cf. Rostowzew (1903) 636-642.

The imitative piece does not fit with the main body of tesserae from the city of Rome. Its probably an imitation or temporary issue of some sort, perhaps struck during the Civil War?

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:04 pm »
Lead, 17 mm, 4.0 g, axis 12

obv: Mercurius standing left holding purse (?) and caduceus; to right MF (Mercurius Felix?)
Rev: Iuppiter (?) standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre (no letters readable)

I have not found it in Rostzowzew or supplement

Luigi

I can concur that its not in Rostowzew, neither are there any specimens in the BM. This doesn't really surprise me. The style on your piece is finer than the main group of tesserae from Rome and it looks like it was struck, not cast.

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:37:44 pm »
How many images are you looking for?  I have collected a few roman tesserae, some AE some Pb, but havent photographed all yet.  Heres a couple:

1. Roman tessera. Pb.  18.3 x 17.6mm.  3.08 g, 12 h.
IV E, NES (in two lines).
Isis std. l. holding sistum and situla.

2. Roman tessera. AE, 16.4 mm, 2.46 g, 5h.
TR (ligate).
G.
Cohen 60 (3 fr.)

Best,
Kevin

That Iuvenes piece looks familiar. I'm primarily interested in the leads, but more images of the bronze ones would be appreciated as well.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:57:05 pm »
The elephant is not an uncommon theme on tesserae. Rostowzew catalogs eight with a legend reverse: AVG, CST, LAS (seventeen specimens in museums) LNI, MA, TFN, TMA, SEXTVS (circular), and CERDO. Cf. Rostowzew (1903) 636-642.

The imitative piece does not fit with the main body of tesserae from the city of Rome. Its probably an imitation or temporary issue of some sort, perhaps struck during the Civil War?

This elephant clearly says TORQ(uatus) so would be an addition to Rostowzew.

The imitative Piso Frvgi with the family names FABIA and FRONTO seems to occur in some quantity. Given the double family names I'd suggest Duovirs of some sort, perhaps a city issue for some local games. They are quite well made. I've seen others. The source-type of Piso Frugi is imitated quite closely so some care was taken that it look like a current coin. Hence I hazarded a date in the 50s BC, perhaps from a smaller Italian city.

Perhaps they were given out at some political event and exchangeable for real denarii?? Like the modern scrip dollars.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »
Maybe you can tell me more about some of these tesserae?  Here's another one.

Pb, 15.0 x 15.3 mm, 2.70 g, 12 h.
Dog/rabbit

Kevin

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:25:36 pm »
We have a small collection that will be added to the catalog soon. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

I'd better be quick to buy them, then!

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:31 pm »

I'd better be quick to buy them, then!

Indeed!  Looking forward to seeing what you have, Joe!
Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity