Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Parthian and Other Eastern Coins Discussion Forum

Unidentified Parthian King

(1/3) > >>

orenpym:
Hello !

This is my first post here, so I will try to give you a brief background.
I have a friend with a strang hobby - searching for coins with a metal detector. One day he showed me his little collection of mainly Byzantine coins. After a while I told this to my father and he said that after my grandfather passed away 10 years ago my father found in his stuff a little pouch which contained ancient coins. I looked into this coins and found out that some of them are quite interesting.
My grandpa came to Palestine from Afghanistan in the early 30's, where he was a merchant. I don't know whether he collected coins or maybe he came by them during his "business ventures" but all of this coins are for sure from the area of Afghanistan. Most of the coins are Parthian, Sassanian, Kushan and Iranian (Muslim).
This is the most intriguing coin - since I can't decide which parthian king is depicted on it.

I'll appreciate any information or help I can get.

Thanks in advance

Oren

orenpym:
this is the reverse side

Howard Cole:
The coin appears to be of Mithradates I (171-138 BC).  I think it is Sellwood 8.1.  Obv. Bust left in bashlyk (the hood).  Rev. Archer seated right on omphalos, one line legend.  Mint, Hekatomphylos.

Howard

orenpym:
Thank you Howard for clearing this matter.
I was hoping for Arsaces I, since the portrait is similar, but I see why it is actually a variation of Mithradates I(sellwood 8.1) - even though Mith had puffier chicks and longer nose on the other coins I've seen on parthia.com.

By the way, do you happen to know why in later coins of Mithradates he has large beard?

Oren

Howard Cole:
I really don't know about the beard.  Maybe he got older?  He ruled for 33 years.  The type of coin you have, Sellwood puts early in his reign.  So as he got older, he grew a beard and this is reflected in his coins.

Howard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version