Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Parthian and Other Eastern Coins Discussion Forum

Afghanistan

(1/1)

Jochen:
Hi!

Recently I got 20 coins from my sister. 40 years before she was in Afghanistan and bought these coins from a trader on the street. This is the first one. Anyone of you who know this type? Weight 3.08g, diameter 17.1mm, silver(?)
The other side is so worn that nothing is to see.

Any information appreciated!

Regards,
Jochen

whitetd49:
Interesting!  But I don't think that is a type.  Looks like a slug with many counter marks.

Manzikert:
This is an early Indian punchmarked silver coin, and is no.506 in Gupta and Hardaker's 'Ancient Indian silver punchmarked coins'. It is part of their series Va, and is listed as very common.

These coins appear on blanks which can be anything from square to circular, and which just have 5 punches on one side, often with single punches on the other side, which are said to be banker's marks. If you have 20 of them it is likely that you have several different types, but the proably all date from c.300-150 BC like this one.

This page has some details about these coins, and illustrates some other types: http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/india/ancientindia.html

Jochen:
Thanks, Manzikert, for your information and for the link!

Jochen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version