Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sentimental about gift coin  (Read 405 times)

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
Sentimental about gift coin
« on: August 08, 2022, 06:54:41 am »
Good day folks. I received this ancient coin, probably bronze, from a friend who purchased it in 1975 in Israel. He informed me then that he was told it came from Samaria. I will try to post the picture of the coin, front and back. The thing is, I cannot identify the coin but I dearly want to, as I have sentiment for the fact that the coin was a gift and my friend has passed. Please offer me assistance. I have searched coin images for hours on end and have come up with zilch. Regards. Johan 

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
Re: Sentimental about gift coin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 06:56:12 am »
Other side of coin

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 07:10:33 am »
One more effort to make the coin more discernable. Its diameter is 16 mm.

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:12:25 am »
Other side. I apologise if the images still are so fuzzy! Regards. Johan

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:47:35 am »
Hallo Johan V3?
I turned your coin in the good position to decipher the arabian (or persian) script.
At the moment my wife gave me a lot of tasks to do, but I 'll see this evening if I can find this coin.
Maybe some other member of this forum can help you quicker, ... the better ;).

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 09:26:03 am »
Trust me to have looked at the coin upside down all these years! Jan, thank you so much for your trouble to reposition my coin. Any help will be greatly  appreciated!
Regards
Johan.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:22 pm »
Because of the word "sultan" on your coin, I thought I could find it in the Indian sultanates, but until now ... no succes.
So, only this sweetener:
At left, your coin with "sultan" on top. At right, a Malwa coin with legend:"sultan bin sultan"= sultan, son of the sultan. ( Just to compare the written word).

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 02:28:56 am »
If it was found in Israel or thereabouts, it's most likely a coin from Mamluk Egypt.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 08:00:22 am »
Thank you, Jan P and Sap, your suggestions have been enlightening to me. In my search I have concentrated much on the single character on the right side of my coin, illustrated by the following image found on another internet coin. Looks like a 'w'. I was wondering what script the inscriptions are in, and what this symbol or letter means. Or if it can help in the ID of the coin?

Offline Johan V3

• Legionary
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 08:09:06 am »
 Sap, I see in Mamluk documentation, that the shadda (ω) is often used ornamentally in the religious legends on coins. Could that be a shadda in my coin? Or a letter in some alphabet?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity