Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?  (Read 912 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:51:19 am »
Hello Everyone! Just wondering af anyone has seen anything like this item? It's about 15mm, cast Lead. I think it dates to John Hyrcanus I, but I'm quite the novice at this. The base of the Menorah doesn't seem to match anything that Antigonus had issued...

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:20:54 am »
This looks like a seal of the later Roman/early Byzantine period. However, I am always extremely hesitant with anything depicting a Menorah. The reverse of your seal should have a monogram or inscription, but I can't make sense of it. Perhaps a better photo. Note that seals almost always have a die axis of 12.00 which helps photographing it the right way up.
Regards
Gert

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Re: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:11:05 am »
Hi Gert,

That IS the die axis for 12:00... it mimics a Lulav seen on King/High Priest coins from Judaea. There are two big dots separated by it. The inscription is J / r Y h

All coins are guaranteed for eternity