Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maues AE coin in silver?  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
Maues AE coin in silver?
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:33:37 pm »
I bought an apparent Indo-Scythian coin of Maues. It isn't an area I have much experience of, and when I bought it I thought it was rather battered, worn and corroded but genuine (I paid very little for it - it was a one-off from a dealer with no experience of ancients who usually sells modern coins). Once I looked it up I found it is exactly a type Senior 5.1, elephants head with bell on one side, caduceus with 'basilews mauo' on the other. But it is silver, not bronze.  I can't find any reference to a silver version of this coin, but I only have access to online lists like wildwinds.  The size is the same as the bronze ones  (26mm) and the weight is a bit too light for a tetradrachm (8.04 grammes). Is this a modern fake, or an ancient imitation? Were there local imitations of Indo-Scythian issues?

Thanks

Graham

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Maues AE coin in silver?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:12:03 pm »
On the picture it looks like bronze  :-\.

Could you please show us the other side as well?

Regards

Altamura

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 02:53:11 pm »
Definitely silver coloured in real life.

I'll another try at loading the obverse, hope it works this time.

Graham

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 03:04:07 am »
To me this type is only known in bronze and in my eyes your coin on the pictures doesn't look like silver  :-\.
The weight of 8,04 g is also still within the weight range of these bronze issues.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 06:30:06 am »
I have never seen bronze this colour before. However, if it is silver it doesn't look like the relatively pure silver in the only other IndoScythian coins I have (Azes). To me it looks most like the low-grade silver in the 3rd century Roman coins I'm more used to. Or maybe a copper-tin alloy with a high proportion of tin. I might try working out the specific gravity following this: http://www.attilacoins.com/Calculate_Specific_Gravidity_coin.asp which is something I've never tried before.

Graham

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:21 am »
I measured the specific gravity, it comes out at 9.825. According to the figures on attilacoins, this is too high for copper, bronze, or 'white metal' (copper + 50% tin). It's too low for pure silver, which would be 10.49, but could be a alloy of around 60% silver, 40% copper (which is like the late Roman silver it looked like to me). Or I guess it could be a copper/lead alloy, as lead has a higher sg than copper. I've never seen this, so don't known if the combination looks like silver. Are there any Indo-Scythian coins that use a copper/lead combination? If not, then I suppose it could also be a modern cast, if someone used lead to make a mix with a lower melting point. Though I can't see why anyone would bother making a cast in the the wrong metal of a coin in such a worn state (or how I could tell without an x-ray).

Graham

All coins are guaranteed for eternity