Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cyzicus folles, heads and flans  (Read 988 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Cyzicus folles, heads and flans
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:16:22 pm »
Hi all,

For the ’Class I’ folles of Cyzicus, RIC VI makes a distinction between two sub-groups: ii (small head in high relief on small flan and iii (larger head in flatter relief on a larger flan).

Legends and weights are the same for both groups, and (judging from attributions in sales and museum catalogs) I don't seem to be the only one having some difficulties distinguishing between them.

Coins 1 (Constantius) and 2 (Galerius) both seem to belong to group ii as both have a relatively large portrait and a generous pearl ring diameter of 27 mm or so. I am less sure about no 3 (Diocletian), however. The relief is actually flatter than on the other two coins, but the PRD is only 25 mm (the portrait type is similar to the others, but proportionally smaller).  

Would this make it a candidate for group ii (i.e. RIC 10a)? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Cyzicus folles, heads and flans
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:50:09 am »
PRD is a far more reliable indication of issue/sequencing than head-size which is more at the celator's whim. A 2mm difference is certainly enough to be significant (the early london mint issues can only be distinguished by a PRD difference of 1mm).

Ben

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:56:48 pm »
Agreed; with flan sizes all over the place for many issues it makes more sense to measure the PRD rather than flan diameter. (Btw: is normal practice to measure the inner diameter?)

As for the portraits, there seems to be a difference in style as well as size. By coincidence I just picked up a specimen from sub-group ii (”small head in high relief”), and enclose the seller’s photo for comparison.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 08:02:15 pm »
I believe that normal practice for PRD is to measure centre of pearl to centre of pearl.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:27:26 am »
Thanks!

/PD

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:23 am »
I believe that normal practice for PRD is to measure centre of pearl to centre of pearl.

SC

Correct. When I introduced the term in 2011 I wrote:

"The PRD is the diameter across the pearl ring (measured across top of pearls)."

Ref: Coins and Medallions struck for the Inauguration of Constantinopolis 11 May 330. (2011: Lars Ramskold. Niš & Byzantium IX, pp. 125-158)

Nice to see that the term has caught on :-)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:33:37 am »
Thanks, Lars, for the reference. Whether because of wishful thinking or plain mindlessness, I misread the obverse legend on the fourth coin above. It’s not a Maximian from RIC sub-group ii, but from a later issue, in the name of Galerius (GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS). Silly me!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity