Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Old Auction Catalogue Madness!  (Read 94798 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Old Auction Catalogue Madness!
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 10:56:20 am »
Quote from: carthago on September 09, 2015, 11:16:34 pm
On the cutting of the pages, I've found that in a few of my catalogues. The most notable Martini with several of the pages not divided. Interesting, isn't it?

I'm surpised to hear that your Martini catalogue has uncut pages, as I think I know your source for that catalogue (from prior posts) and I would have expected that the previous owner would have cut them.  Perhaps there is some "book collector value" to leaving them uncut and pristine.  On the other hand, I can think of several reasons why numismatists would want the text fully visible -  (1) as an index to the plates, (2) to confirm provenance of an un-plated coin or (3) to research recorded specimens of some rare type/variety.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 11:03:06 am »
Quote from: Carausius on September 10, 2015, 10:56:20 am
Quote from: carthago on September 09, 2015, 11:16:34 pm
On the cutting of the pages, I've found that in a few of my catalogues. The most notable Martini with several of the pages not divided. Interesting, isn't it?

I'm surpised to hear that your Martini catalogue has uncut pages, as I think I know your source for that catalogue (from prior posts) and I would have expected that the previous owner would have cut them.  Perhaps there is some "book collector value" to leaving them uncut and pristine.  On the other hand, I can think of several reasons why numismatists would want the text fully visible -  (1) as an index to the plates, (2) to confirm provenance of an un-plated coin or (3) to research recorded specimens of some rare type/variety.

It was from the Kreindler's collection.  I'm going to cut them when I get it bound. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:28 am »
Quote from: carthago on September 10, 2015, 11:03:06 am
It was from the Kreindler's collection

That's what I thought, and why I mused that there might have been a reason they were left uncut. Although, Herb  curated such a huge library, I suspect he just never got around to cutting them!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:47 pm »
Received in today's mail:

1. Naville Ars Classica XI (Collection H.C. Levis), June 1925.

2. Leo Hamburger 96 (including some coins ex Jameson), Oct 1932.

Ordered, but not yet received:

3. P & P Santamaria, Oct 1949 - Magnaguti, Ex Nummis Historia I and II (two sale catalogues bound together). 

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 11:13:05 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on September 21, 2015, 09:55:47 pm
Received in today's mail:

1. Naville Ars Classica XI (Collection H.C. Levis), June 1925.

2. Leo Hamburger 96 (including some coins ex Jameson), Oct 1932.

Ordered, but not yet received:

3. P & P Santamaria, Oct 1949 - Magnaguti, Ex Nummis Historia I and II (two sale catalogues bound together). 

Some more great sales.  You're really rolling on your library

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:11 am »
Quote from: carthago on September 21, 2015, 11:13:05 pm
Some more great sales.  You're really rolling on your library!  

Yep, thanks.  I've been making progress on my binding project as well.  Over the weekend, I picked up my final "tests" which the bindery passed quite well. Two examples below. The first, all four Knobloch sales bound as a single volume in half green cloth with marbled boards, leather spine label. The second, Egger XXXIX (the Greek section of which is hand priced and named) bound in black half-calf with grey cloth boards.  I left several more catalogues with the bindery for leather binding.  Reviewing a very recently released catalogue of a former collector's library has been a budget-busting inspiration.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 07:49:09 am »
Quote from: Carausius on September 22, 2015, 11:18:11 am
Quote from: carthago on September 21, 2015, 11:13:05 pm
Some more great sales.  You're really rolling on your library!  

Yep, thanks.  I've been making progress on my binding project as well.  Over the weekend, I picked up my final "tests" which the bindery passed quite well. Two examples below. The first, all four Knobloch sales bound as a single volume in half green cloth with marbled boards, leather spine label. The second, Egger XXXIX (the Greek section of which is hand priced and named) bound in black half-calf with grey cloth boards.  I left several more catalogues with the bindery for leather binding.  Reviewing a very recently released catalogue of a former collector's library has been a budget busting-inspiration.

Those turned out great.  I really like the labeling.  I also know what you mean by the budget busting ideas.  I tried to buy a few of those items but they were sold.  It's definitely given me some binding ideas as well.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2015, 10:27:55 am »
Very nice, Michael!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2015, 11:36:11 am »
Hi Cara,

The bindery did an excellent job!

Meepzorp

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2015, 02:40:16 am »
Man, you guys are making me jealous. Would you be able to share with me prices realized lists for any of those old catalogs?

My email is rasiel@dirtyoldbooks.com, I'd be indebted!

Ras

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
PM sent.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 03:28:14 pm »
On order, awaiting receipt:

1. Sambon/Canessa (1907) - Collections Martinetti & Nervegna.  This catalogue had an encouraging summary in Andrew McCabe's auction catalogue web pages.

2. Glendining (1950) - Henry Platt Hall Collection parts I , II and the elusive part III. Parts I and II are priced and part I includes buyers names. Part III is quite rare, as the entire group of English coins was sold en bloc to Spink before the auction and the catalogues were not distributed.

3. P and P Santamaria (1958) - Collection Brunacci. I find many of these Santamaria catalogues, though relatively modern,  particularly difficult to source. I have had some good luck with them over the past few weeks, but that comes after a year of searching. Still looking for Signorelli (1952).

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2015, 03:59:27 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 03, 2015, 03:28:14 pm

1. Sambon/Canessa (1907) - Collections Martinetti & Nervegna.  This catalogue had an encouraging summary in Andrew McCabe's auction catalogue web pages.

2. Glendining (1950) - Henry Platt Hall Collection parts I , II and the elusive part III. Parts I and II are priced and part I includes buyers names. Part III is quite rare, as the entire group of English coins was sold en bloc to Spink before the auction and the catalogues were not distributed.

3. P and P Santamaria (1958) - Collection Brunacci. I find many of these Santamaria catalogues, though relatively modern,  particularly difficult to source. I have had some good luck with them over the past few weeks, but that comes after a year of searching. Still looking for Signorelli (1952).

All great catalogues. Especially Brunacci. You'll find Signorelli in time - RBW had more than one in his library that'll be at Kolbe in time. Platt-Hall and Martinetti & Nervegna are good but less difficult to find. I wasn't aware of Part III of Platt Hall being rarer - I think I've the Roman and Greek only.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 03, 2015, 03:28:14 pm

The RR pieces in HP Hall are really outstanding coins and the plates in that catalogue are very good compared to later Glendining catalogues that go really downhill.  I've got 3 coins from HP Hall of which one is now my avatar and another was an originally unprovenanced RBW coin.  I actually got a chance to share with him that I found it in HP Hall which he thought was cool.  Lot 586 for when you get your catalogue;)

All great additions to the library

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 09:34:44 pm »
All great catalogues. Especially Brunacci. You'll find Signorelli in time - RBW had more than one in his library that'll be at Kolbe in time. Platt-Hall and Martinetti & Nervegna are good but less difficult to find. I wasn't aware of Part III of Platt Hall being rarer - I think I've the Roman and Greek only.

Prompted by this thread, I had another look at Signorelli and at Brunacci. The former (dated earlier - 1952) is a better sale - the coins are better quality, there's more of them, and the plates have significantly better printing, perhaps in part due to better plaster casts. Whilst browsing, I picked up another coin from Signorelli, lot 719:

I'm especially pleased as it's one of my favourite coins with a stunning reverse. I recall being with RBW when I bought it and he thought it especially nice. I already have lot 736 (Pompey Nasidia) from the same sale which is just below the Sicinia.

On the one hand it's perplexing that I missed a coin a mere half a plate from another I'd found. On the other hand it's rather gratifying that there's provenances to be found in catalogues that I've perused many times. The whole point of this catalogue madness is, after all, provenance finds. I've one Brunacci (1958) ... not quite such a terrific coin.

On results to date there's probably more for me to find in just these two sales. Whilst Banti is a great first go-to resource, its indifferent photo reproduction means I sometimes miss coins that I pick up in the original sale. I really hope I've missed an awful lot in all my catalogues as that would mean that I've happy years ahead to continue finding provenances.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:52 am »
Beautiful coins, Andrew... even the Brunacci!  I'm a bit concerned that I may have jinxed my Brunacci  catalogue acquisition. I posted it here before the seller confirmed its availability, and I've still not heard from them!  We'll see.  

I spent some time this evening curled in a chair with my very-nicely-bound, recently-acquired copy of Magnaguti I and II (bound as one), which arrived in the post a few days ago. Hard-binding these catalogues really does promote their enjoyment. With an original, card-bound catalogue, I feel compelled to sit at a desk and gingerly turn pages to avoid damage. A hard-binding frees me to more comfortably peruse. I was impressed that the Republican section of Magnaguti was arranged chronologically, rather than by Babelon.  

EDIT: Yep, I jinxed the Brunacci catalogue.  I received notice that it was already sold. I'll keep looking....

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:13 am »
Man, like you guys I'm getting quite a bit of the old catalog fever too. For me, I have no interest in the physical object - which is a good thing considering the expense and space issues - but today I have a real heartbreaker on my hands. Normally I rip out the pages of the catalog so they scan better but I just can't bring myself to do so to a 1938 Sotheby's sale titled "The Reinhold Faelten" which Warren Esty was kind enough to sell me. This catalog has rather mediocre photography but the thing itself is a work of art. Each plate page has a rice paper separator to prevent damage. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Would anyone be interested in buying or trading for another?

Ras

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:50 am »
Normally I rip out the pages of the catalog so they scan better but I just can't bring myself to do so to a 1938 Sotheby's sale titled "The Reinhold Faelten" which Warren Esty was kind enough to sell me. This catalog has rather mediocre photography but the thing itself is a work of art. Each plate page has a rice paper separator to prevent damage. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Would anyone be interested in buying or trading for another?

Faelten was a Stack's sale, not Sotheby's.  Despite its poor plates, it is considered important by some simply because it was an early attempt by Stack's to photograph actual coins rather than plaster casts.  So long as you understand that ripping a collectible catalogue apart will destroy some resale value, go ahead and rip it - but try to do so with minimal damage to anything but the spine.  If the top and rear covers, pages and plates are undamaged and it remains suitable for rebinding, it should be interesting to some collector, although at a reduced price.  I already have a hardbound copy of Faelten, so no interest here.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 10:12:13 am »
Man, like you guys I'm getting quite a bit of the old catalog fever too. For me, I have no interest in the physical object - which is a good thing considering the expense and space issues - but today I have a real heartbreaker on my hands. Normally I rip out the pages of the catalog so they scan better but I just can't bring myself to do so to a 1938 Sotheby's sale titled "The Reinhold Faelten" which Warren Esty was kind enough to sell me. This catalog has rather mediocre photography but the thing itself is a work of art. Each plate page has a rice paper separator to prevent damage. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Would anyone be interested in buying or trading for another?

Ras

Faelten is easily obtainable so you're probably not destroying a priceless relic, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  What I have doing is using a Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 to scan my older catalogues that I don't want to destroy.  Works well for IMO.  Here's a sample.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2015, 10:20:02 am »

Ras

Though I passed by chances to buy Faelten several times due to its horrid plates, I'd like to get it for completeness (and this sounds likes well preserved example) but also to safeguard against you tearing it up (which shocks me - no pre 1970 sale should ever be dismembered!). I can offer as a swap a bunch of Glendinings catalogues from around 1970; Faelten has 25 plates of ancients and as my trade items are later in date, I'll be happy to pull out old Glendinings with double that, ie 50 plates of ancients, exact mix my choice as I'd not want to give away anything with RR so would need to check. I'd post to you wherever you are and you'd send me Faelten in UK. The precise number of cats I'd send would depend on plate count. How does this sound? If interested, lets swap addresses by PM.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2015, 10:25:31 am »
Quote from: carthago on October 23, 2015, 10:12:13 am
Faelten is easily obtainable so you're probably not destroying a priceless relic, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  What I have doing is using a Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 to scan my older catalogues that I don't want to destroy.  Works well for IMO.  Here's a sample.

Thanks for showing one of my coins in your sample! (AR 755, bought at a table in the NYINC bourse)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2015, 11:32:28 am »
Quote from: carthago on October 23, 2015, 10:12:13 am

Thanks for showing one of my coins in your sample! (AR 755, bought at a table in the NYINC bourse)

I actually knew that was your coin but didn't do it on purpose.   ;)

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2015, 12:26:44 pm »
Sounds like a good deal to me Carausius. Please get a hold of me via email to arrange. I'll be very careful in scanning it before I send it to you.

Carthago, would you consider sharing with me that Bourgey PDF?

Ras
rasiel@dirtyoldbooks.com

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2015, 12:35:23 pm »
Sounds like a good deal to me Carausius. Please get a hold of me via email to arrange. I'll be very careful in scanning it before I send it to you.

Hi Ras - did you mean me or Carausius in this message? I didn't read anything that sounded like a proposal in Carausius' messages (forgive me if something was arranged offline).

Andrew

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »

Hi Ras - did you mean me or Carausius in this message? I didn't read anything that sounded like a proposal in Carausius' messages (forgive me if something was arranged offline).

Andrew

Ras meant you, Andrew. I've got my Faelten.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity