Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze decoration?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Bronze decoration?
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »
27 x 18mm.  looks like pins were placed through material and then were hammered over.  Any help much appreciated.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Bronze decoration?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:18:03 pm »
Could be a belt tip / strap end, but the pattern is not one I have seen before.  Perhaps not ancient.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »
Thanks Joe. I bought it with a group of fibulae and in hand the patina looks old, but you may be right.  Regards

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:56 am »
Likely a belt applique.  Similar ones can been found in Balkan detector lots.  Most appear to be post-Roman - Byzantine, Slavic, later medieval even Ottoman.  But I have no idea on this particular ne.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

taurisker

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:44 am »
Likely a belt applique.  Similar ones can been found in Balkan detector lots.  Most appear to be post-Roman - Byzantine, Slavic, later medieval even Ottoman.  But I have no idea on this particular ne.

Shawn

... what´s about applications for horses bridles/harnesses??
Perhaps medieval belt ends and/or applications on sword scabbards, or something else. The ornaments style points in direction byzantine or medieval Europe. The 'serrate' end on the bottom side of the piece looks to me like a brockage. Can´t see this detail clear enough on the pic, but maybe it´s a fragment? Due to the incomplete decoration details this seems possible.
Regards

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:00:25 am »
Taurisker,

You are right.  I should have been more specific.  I for one can't tell the difference between appliques for belts, baldrics/sword straps, horse harnesses etc in the post-Roman era.  Maybe there are some sources that help specify but I don't know of any.

There is great confusion even with Roman era items.  Some people try to specify belt vs. baldric, vs armour strap, vs. horse harness according to size/width of the item but much of that is simply guess work.  It is clear that some decorations were used on more than one type of item. 

The only safe and sure way is if an item of decoration can be linked to one shown on a carving or statuary or to one found in a good secure archeological context.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:16 pm »
Well, I need a new belt.  Maybe I'll put this on it.   Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity