Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Galerius follis, silvered and verdigris  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Galerius follis, silvered and verdigris
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:32:33 pm »
Hello! Here's a quite nice Galerius follis, almost fully silvered, but suffering from a bad verdigris infection. Any remedy for it's condition?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Galerius follis, silvered and verdigris
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:17:15 pm »
A very nice specimen I'd say, the green deposits are small and scattered and hardly detract!

They could be removed by careful work with a scalpel or pick under the binocular microscope, if you think the improvement would be worth it!
Curtis Clay

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:36:17 pm »
I personally like the green deposits as well. I think it adds interest to the coin, and shows that it is indeed ancient. Nice coin!

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 09:42:27 pm »
How are the edges? If they show BD also, I would treat it - many good posts here on succesful techniques - note I just did a Honorius AE 2 with BD on its edge cracks, and treating it did not hurt its patina, which was wonderful, as is yours.  Joe

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:32:32 pm »
That looks like malachite not BD. I don't think it harms the coin at all.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:12:39 pm »
I agree with Robert, it does look like malachite, but if you are still unsure, just leave the coin in the open air for a about two weeks. If it is BD, you will see it start to grow. There would not be noticeable damage, and you can still easily remove it.

The cracks around the edge of coins is the most likely place for salts to be deposited, especially deep in the cracks. These are nearly impossible to clean, so the salt and clay/dirt stay deep.  The only way to get to these areas, is long soaks, but you need to change the solution every 3 or 4 days.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:17:35 pm »
I tried cleaning this off one of my coins under microscope,  ......not good

coin looks great as is , and I would keep it as is

Great looking coin BTW

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
Thanks all for the replies. Seems unanimous, I'm better leaving this one as it is. I guess I was just looking for a "miracle" solution that would remove the green deposits. Wouldn't want to pick too much at it considering my skills at cleaning coins :-X

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 06:53:37 pm »
I wouldent touch it, it is wonderfull as is, I know how to clean this silvered type very well but realy if I had your coin I will leave it alone because it is natural with light green, if it was thick at some areas I will incurge the cleaning, but at this point NOO.
regards
Salem

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 11:28:51 pm »
Thanks Salem. It's mostly on the edge (about 50% of it) so not too obtrusive. I would rather have it without but I can do very well with it :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity