Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Whats a good setup?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Whats a good setup?
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:55:41 pm »
I'm trying to think up a good setup for cleaning. (I'm presuming I'll be doing no more than 50 coins at a time.) My current system of a single bowl really isn't gonna cut it!

What do you all use?

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Whats a good setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:17:22 pm »
I use separate small plastic containers, I think they are about 5 ounces, and I put about ten coins in each one. I divide up the coins on how dirty they are. I usually have the crusties, the mud like dirt ones, the "average" ones, and then I have the ones that have barely any dirt.

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:35:24 am »
My brother recently had an addition to his family, so I have a pile of baby food jars. I separate the coins as awl mentions by degree of dirtiness, and give them the appropriate soaks. I find it better working on 10 or so in similar condition together rather than a random mix. It's just a personal preference, but I think it works as far as having coins together that need similar treatment.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:16:30 am »
For long soaks ands general cleaning, the small 8 ounce margarine tubs work well. they are easy to get things into and out of, cheap and have lids if needed.  I also put a cut out circle of the green scrubbing pad in the bottom, this allows the soaking solution to get to all side easily.

bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:47:48 pm »
Lots and lots of cheapy "glad" tupperware containers. (they stack nicely, can be found in the local grocery for cheap, and my wife can't give me the stink eye for using her "real" tupperware!)

Chris

(I went a bit crazy when I first found out you could buy uncleaned roman coins and ended up with a whole bucketload, so to save space I usually put 15  ae 3's or 4's and like 10-12 bigger ones per container. I am also lucky as my wife is a dyalisis (spelling?) nurse and is in charge of the water supply at her unit, so I have an unlimited supply of DW therfore I have the opprotunity to change out the water every couple of days in all of my containers)
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity