Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: red encrustations  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
red encrustations
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:59 pm »
I'm sure this has already been discussed before, but can anything be done with those nasty, red encrustations? Short of just grinding them down, that is.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re: red encrustations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:19:52 am »
hello
Red Encrustration is the best kind of dirt after Desert patina coins for me, if it is not deep in the coin it will be prefect to clean, show us a photo and I will see if you can do any thing about it, and if it is deep in the coin or not????
regards
Salem

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:10:14 pm »
I doubt that its dirt...

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:01 am »
I doubt that its dirt...
It looks like copper. IF the coin has gone through a lot of corrosion, which it has, there is often a layer of oxidized copper that gets mixed with lime and adds to the layers. It is part of the original coin surface, but badly corroded.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:14:46 pm »
 This is part of the reason why I have stopped buying large uncleaned coins.They usually have this or other encrustation on it.It is useless to try to clean them even with electroylsis.If they are not corroded,then they are worn slick and usually the only thing that can be read is the counterstamps if they have them.I have purchased over 20 orders of 5 or more coins,spent too much money.I have found one very nice Maximinus ll and one fair diadumenianus,4 assaria.The effort to clean and the money spent wasn't worth it.Picked over coins aren't worth it either.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:13:50 pm »
I was a able to attack it with a dental pick with great success:)
Granted, the surface is picked to death and some of the patina came off with the red stuff, but its better than having a lumpy red thing.

In my opinion, uncleaned coins are not about getting rich or even getting your money's worth. Obviously, its great to turn a profit. But if I enjoy the cleaning, its worth it to me. This piece in particular brought me hours of enjoyment. lol.

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 12:05:49 pm »
In my opinion, uncleaned coins are not about getting rich or even getting your money's worth. Obviously, its great to turn a profit. But if I enjoy the cleaning, its worth it to me. This piece in particular brought me hours of enjoyment. lol.

Well,at least there was something under all the encrustation,but would you feel the same way,if after spending hours on it if the coin was slick or massively pitted and unrecognizable?
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »
Possibly - its quite satisfying to pick the encrustations off.  ;D

Plus, the coin already showed much more detail on the exposed parts, so I had a hunch it would be worth it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity