Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake patina and toning  (Read 1797 times)

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
Fake patina and toning
« on: August 19, 2007, 01:19:52 pm »
I ask a question for those of you who artificially tone a coin. Do you tone them because you think they look better that way? Do you tone them to get a better price when you sell it? If you sold a coin that you had altered in this way, would you let the buyer know it has fake toning or patina? Just wondering...I am not a fan of fake toning a coin cleaned down to the metal...if it has been cleaned down to the metal, then I want to see metal...not fake toning. You dont feel this practice is deceptive, not as bad as tooling but deceptive and altering the coin? I see many coins being sold at a premium because it has 'great toning' or 'beautiful patina'...if that great toning and patina are fake...should people buying it know?

When an ancient coin was minted and it was released to circulate...it didnt have patina or toning on it. Its understandable that some coins require cleaning that might remove the patina...wouldn't it be better to leave it as is? I would think toning and fake patina is like dying a coin...maybe even harming it...just wondering what people thoughts on this are...if a coin had been artificially toned or had a fake patina...would you want to know about it before you buy it?

thanks

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Fake patina and toning
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:58:42 pm »
I sometimes use dellers because I don't like the look of raw copper on an ancient coin. Dellers is easily spotted; I won't use more sophisticated forms of artificial patina which look more like the real thing.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 05:11:24 pm »
I regularly darken bronze coins that I have cleaned and do not consider it "deception" or "alteration".

The coin simply looks much better, and the details can be seen more clearly, if it has an even dark tone, rather than a bright metallic color or a dark tone interspersed with metallic glints.

I think that the toning imparted e.g. by sulphur paste is more or less identical to the toning the coin would acquire naturally over the years by mere exposure to the atmosphere.
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:05:33 am »
It probably is in an urban environment, given the amount of sulphur in the atmosphere. The blackening of silver coins really has to be sulphide formation, so you'd expect the same thing to happen, perhaps not so conspicuously, to AE.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity