Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: dellers  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
dellers
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:34 pm »
Used Dellers for the first time on a coin that I stripped to the point that it was pink.  It's now got a very healthy looking tan, to my eyes at least.  How do I stop it?  If I leave it on overnight, will the coin turn black?  Do I need to "fix" it with heat or a dunk in alcohol?
What's the advantage of Jax, other than it comes in different colours?
Raymond 
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: dellers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:05:51 pm »
Just wipe off any grease left, and leave it. I've never had a coin turn black just from Dellers.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:29:39 pm »
Robert's correct, just wipe it, you can leave it in the sun for a couple of days. I would not mess about with agents like Jax. All you do is damage the surface with an acid based oxidant, green is not always good, and it look fake a lot of times.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:06:49 am »
Ave!

Quote from: bruce61813 on August 17, 2007, 05:29:39 pm
Robert's correct, just wipe it, you can leave it in the sun for a couple of days. I would not mess about with agents like Jax. All you do is damage the surface with an acid based oxidant, green is not always good, and it look fake a lot of times.

Bruce

My only thoughts are that you should "not" wipe it off, but as Bruce mentioned, just let it rest in sunshine, flipping over every few days until you're happy with the result.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 06:53:41 am »
I usually wipe coins after 24 hours, and flip them, since I haven't seen much change after that time. Should they be left longer?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:04:40 am »
NO sun these days!
Before the replies, I wiped the coin and this exposed some areas that now appear to need retoning.  After I repeat Dellering the discolored areas, will that greasy film disappear by itself?  Can I then consider waxing + buffing?
Buffing: I have a nylon cup brush for a Dremel.  Do I hold it vertically over the coin (like a floor polisher!) or angle it like I would with a SBBB?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 02:55:26 pm »
ray - I have good/bad expereinces with Dellers - I think the bad was more because I was experimenting.....

I have had the best success with applying it, letting it sit for a bit, wiping off the excess, and then leaving in the sun.When I tried what I think you mean, it didn't work. that would be reapplying Dellers to a coin with uneven areas of toning from the first Dellers application(more than slightly uneven). It just continued to darken the already too dark areas, and the undertoned areas didn't catch up.
Good news is you can get all the Dellers off and start over - I've only done this after the frist "excess" wipe off phase. Not sure how easy it comes off it you leave the coin in the sun for a week.  Joe

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:10:19 pm »
out of curiosity, how would I remove the toning by Dellers to start over again?  Can't be by simply rubbing the coin like crazy, is it? 
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:33:51 am »
Dellers reacts differently to different coins, dependent upon the alloy % composition.  I've had bronzes only take a few hours and others take days in the sun.  Sometimes the color is dark and rich, other times uneven.  Some coins have required multiple applications over the course of 2 weeks!  I seem to get the darkest result the most quickly if I apply a second coat with a brass brush (yes, brass) once the first coat has changed color. 

I've had coins that I forgot were on electrolysis, 12 hour zap, oops.  These never color evenly.  I suspect the metal alloys were separating electrically.  Zapped coins do not color well - another reason, I suppose, to not zap at all.

As for removing dellars, a brass brush will take it off in a jiffy.

gavignano

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 05:06:54 pm »
As Ghengis said, the brass brush works. I first soak the unsatisfactory Dellarized little guy in olive oil though. It hen rubs right back off!
Again, I decide fairly quickly to take it off. Not sure if it works well with very hardenend toning - it probably still would though. Joe

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:42 pm »
On the buffing question.  After applying Renn Wax I buff with a battery dremel using a white felt wheel and not the nylon brush.  Anyone tried both and have an opinion??

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:26:47 pm »
On the buffing question.  After applying Renn Wax I buff with a battery dremel using a white felt wheel and not the nylon brush.

white felt wheel, nylon brushes... Can these by purchased at Cdn Tire or Home Depot to fit the battery powered Dremel? Also, are there two types of Brass cup brushes?  I've only seen one and it never states Soft BBB. 
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Circus_Maximus

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:28:22 pm »
the white felt wheels are at HDpt. big & small

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 11:27:14 pm »
On the buffing question.  After applying Renn Wax I buff with a battery dremel using a white felt wheel and not the nylon brush.

white felt wheel, nylon brushes... Can these by purchased at Cdn Tire or Home Depot to fit the battery powered Dremel? Also, are there two types of Brass cup brushes?  I've only seen one and it never states Soft BBB. 
Raymond

Generally all brass brushes are softer than bronze. You used to be able to get some that were truly soft, like hair, and they were great for final polishing.

Bruce

cleaned ancients

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 05:59:14 pm »
The very best way to stop reactions like this is to soak the coin or coins in a penetrating oil for 24 to 48 hours, this stabilizes the coin. I highly recommend WD40, it is the best. As far as final cleaning, purchase some of the paste type cleaners, typically sold in a tooth paste container like - Peek or Fritz, apply with a soft tooth brush, not a new tooth brush, one that was used and destined to be tossed out, let stand for a minute or two then buff off with a very soft cloth. You will be absolutely amazed at the end results.

Regards,

Mark

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:37:55 am »
buff off with a very soft cloth.
Mark

Can a microfibre cloth be considered a soft cloth?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 05:59:44 pm »
buff off with a very soft cloth.
Mark

Can a microfibre cloth be considered a soft cloth?
Raymond
That I don't know, I use old cotton [jeans] to buff the coins. Microfiber is still an unkown.

Bruce

All coins are guaranteed for eternity