Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncleaned Jewish  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Uncleaned Jewish
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:50 am »
I have seven crusty coins purportedly Jewish (one at least is clearly a Nabatean).  They are for the most part a pretty copper-sulphate bluish green colour which almost completely obcures any detail underneath.  The metal, when it appears, is a rusty red, paprika-chocolaty colour.    Is there any way to preserve the green?  I can't use a scalpel to scrape selected highlited areas, because I don't know what's underneath.
If I were to bake them at a high temperature, might the more exposed areas be more lightly covered and thus more brittle upon cooling down, leaving the green in the crevices of the coin after brushing?
Suggestions?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Uncleaned Jewish
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:19:52 am »
Ave!

Hi Ray!

Can you post pix?

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:10:28 pm »
Here's an attempt to post pix.  Thank you for your assistance
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:02:44 pm »
landfill? or keep scratching?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:20:14 pm »
I would not give up, soak them in baking soda and water for a few days, a teaspoon in two cups of water, and if you have so dishwasher  soap, add a half teaspoon. They is hope yet.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:05 pm »
will the blue disappear?  Already, as could be expected, soaking in DW, it seems to fade...
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:38:03 pm »
Yes it will remove the blue, which is a form of copper oxide and is water soluable. Along with the soda water soak, put a piece of aluminum foil under the coin. It will speed up the process as long as the soda solution is at least 5%.

Bruce

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:08:08 pm »
I have high hopes for the coin on the right with the sheaf of wheat (or could it be barley :tongue:?).  What will the foil do?  Increase the potential like in a mini battery?
I also have a couple of others bathing in oil. Pull 'em out and give them the same treatment?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

cleaned ancients

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:46:09 pm »
The foil tip only works on silver, that is nothing but a waste of time. Soaking them in extra virgin olive oil for a couple of weeks, removing them now and then and performing a good scrubbing with hot dish soap & water and a toothbrush will eventually do the job. Repeat this process over and over again until satisfied with the end result. Good quality olive oil will break down the surface encrustation, if given time, and lots of it.

There are faster, more efficient techniques however you need to become familiar with the pain staking traditional methods of cleaning, experience these results, before moving on to more modern techniques.

Regards,

Mark

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 06:39:37 pm »
The foil tip only works on silver, that is nothing but a waste of time.

Mark, the foil does work for bronze. I have tested the soda mix with and without on bronze and it does work. None of these are high speed, but they won't strip or mess up bronze.

Bruce

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 07:07:05 pm »
I have high hopes for the coin on the right with the sheaf of wheat (or could it be barley :tongue:?).  What will the foil do?  Increase the potential like in a mini battery?
I also have a couple of others bathing in oil. Pull 'em out and give them the same treatment?
Raymond

Not that is not a sheaf of wheat but a palm branch instead.  The last coin is an AE prutah of Porcius Festus (59-62 AD) under Nero.  Listed as Hendin 653.

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 10:56:31 am »
Quote from: Howard Cole
Not that is not a sheaf of wheat but a palm branch instead.  The last coin is an AE prutah of Porcius Festus (59-62 AD) under Nero.  Listed as Hendin 653.
[quote

The AE prutah of Porcius Festus (59-62 AD) has a rough bricklike consistency to it.  Is that because I was too rough with it?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity