Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pleased with this one  (Read 1224 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Pleased with this one
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:55:17 pm »
OK, the scenario.  A reasonably nice Probus, fully attributable and yet looking very dirty.  Soaking and brushing with a nylon brush are not achieving anything, and the worse, the coin is silvered, with the silvering already coming off in places so SBBB was a definite no no.  I risked a little lemon juice but got no effect and TBH with it being silvered I didn't want to risk it that much with lemon juice.  The dirt over the coin appeared to be a mixture of hard clay, limescale deposits, and green and yellow corrosion.

Ordinarily I would have attributed it, (RIC 801), and flipped it but something told me to push it on this one.

So I spent the best part of 8 hours with a scalpel and a jewellers loupe, (I don't have a microscope  :( ), and the result is as below with a before and after shot. 

The obverse had already lost much of it's silvering so the detail can be a little tricky to see, but the beard etc is now very visible in hand.  The reverse now looks far better and even the mint mark is quite visible as opposed to before.

What do you think, and for the cleaning experts out there, how did I do?  What would you have done different?

regards

Mark

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Pleased with this one
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:08:56 pm »
A job well done and a nice coin as well.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:12:55 pm »
very nicely done, I am by far an expert in cleaning,  but you did an outstanding job on it

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:20:24 pm »
It may be the light angle on the "after" image, but, between the two images,  I like the "before" condition better.
PeteB

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:32 pm »
It may be the light angle on the "after" image, but, between the two images, I like the "before" condition better.
PeteB
I took both images with the same set-up, and the same lighting, although as the flash now reflects more I had to angle the camera slightly off "direct facing" to avoid wash out.  That really is the only difference.  Anyway, it's good that we all have different tastes  :)

TBH, I'm just really pleased that I managed to clean up the coin without losing much more of the silvering which was only just staying where it should be.  Anyway, now the coin also has a nice layer of Ren Wax, which should help keep the silvering in place and protect the coin for quite a while.

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:00:55 pm »
I tend to be on the conservative side, So I probably would have stopped at the before stage.

However I feel you did an excellent job, and I find the After coin much more pleasing and desireable.

Regards,
Jerome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity