Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New coin cleaning product potentially?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
New coin cleaning product potentially?
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:29:04 pm »
Hi All,

I was talking to a buyer for a construction company the other day and he told me about a cleaning device that his people have started to use on historic buildings.  Yeah, I know that we don't clean many of those, but apparently the device is so precise it can take the ink off of a piece of newspaper without damaging the paper!!

I'm not 100% convinced, but it does seem to have potential for cleaning coins maybe.  What do you think?

http://www.stonehealth.com/jos.html

regards

Mark

Scipio Helveticus

Re: New coin cleaning product potentially?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:50:59 pm »
I used to work for a company that cut steel and blast away rust using water jets at ultra high pressures (over 35,000psi!! ;D). Inspired by this, I once tried my car washing water jet on an uncleaned. Lets say it was a bit of an overkill...... ::)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:57:16 pm »
Quote from: Scipio Helveticus on July 15, 2007, 05:50:59 pm
I used to work for a company that cut steel and blast away rust using water jets at ultra high pressures (over 35,000psi!! ;D). Inspired by this, I once tried my car washing water jet on an uncleaned. Lets say it was a bit of an overkill...... ::)

Scipio, I nearly fell off of my chair, that was funny.  I have this mental image of you picking small pieces of LRBs out of your walls to this day!

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:46:32 pm »
They also us dry ice blasting to clean surfaces,. It has the advantage of a virtual 'zero' post clean up, but it is not recommended for coins, as you would spend a lot of time hunting for them. It would not harm them, but the 90 psi air pressure tends to scatter things. They tried it on a local bronze statue, but the patina coating was so well bonded, that it would not come off!

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity