Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Re-toning Silver Coins  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re-toning Silver Coins
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:56:20 pm »
Ave!

I've read all sorts of odd ways to re-tone silver coins; from burying them in the ground to putting them in a paper bag for a year or two.  That's all well and fine by me, but I certainly don't have that much time on my hands, and more than likely, you don't either.

Here's the quick and "never fails" method; purchase a 1 oz. vial of JAX Silver Blackener, dip a Q-tip into the solution, then daub it onto your coin's surface. Within seconds, the entire surface will turn black as pitch. Ouch! That sounds scary, but read on.

Immediately toothbrush the coin with soap under running water to halt the blackening process. Dry the coin, then place it onto a rough cotton towel. Using your finger tips, press down hard onto the coin and firmly brush it back and forth and in circular motions to remove the darkening agent from the coin's portraits and legends. Repeat on the other side.

You will now have a gorgeous black-toned coin with silver high-lights; easy as pie.

My example looks a bit odd and greenish, color-wise, due to the vagaries of my camera, but trust me, this solution works like a charm.

All you "purists", feel free to beat me up on this one; after all these years posting here on Forum, I have a very thick skin.  ;)

Best,

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: Re-toning Silver Coins
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:17:33 pm »
If the silver surface is not coated by anything, like a wax, just exposing the coin to air and sunlight will start toning it. If it can be suspended by the edges, the oven would do a faster job, it doesn't need to be hot, just warm. 150 deg F or so.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:47:27 pm »
Bleach also works.  Obviously make sure that the coin is stabilised afterwards.  (I have actually used Chlorine bleach on a silver coin, and then soaked in anti-bronze disease to remove the chlorine.  It seems to be OK  :) )

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »
Many a nice US coin has been retoned via the sunlight approach - I know of someone who placed a Barber US 1/2 dollar on a windowsell, facing west, with the window very slightly open, for 2 years!!! It was spectacularly toned, wish he had a picture to share. I think he even said he flipped after one year, like a burger.
Now, has anyone ever tired exposing an ancient coin of good silver to concentrated ultraviolet light, like in a tanning salon?
Don't laugh. You could tan, and tan your coins at the same time   ;D

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:02:04 am »
I've re-toned coins regularly (though I can't really take the credit) just by leaving them in the flips. It usually takes a couple of years. last year, though, I had some billon coins with an irritating artificial green finish. I can't remember what I used to strip it, but they came out really raw looking. As an experiment, I tried Dellers. The results were patchy. A couple of Aureolus ants, which looked silver, came out nicely toned. Some more copper-looking Quintilli looked dodgy, but tolerable, while a wire-brushed, silver-looking Postumus (by Postmus this time) looks dreaful and really needs stripping again.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:43:59 am »
The most effective, swift method of retoning silver is through simulating the natural process of toning. This can be done by introducing a sulphur compound to the surface of the silver, thus darkening the coin.
The best option is sulphurated potash - also known as liver of sulphur and flower of sulphur. A small amount of this material dissolved in water to form a weak sulphur solution will, once the coin is immersed, slowly tone the silver in a similar fashion to the normal process that occurs during long-term cabinet storage. The solution must be very weak, or the coin will rapidly turn into a comical kaleidoscope of crayon colours - a rather undesirable look. If you get it wrong, strip with lemon or silver polish and try again.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity