Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Needs more cleaning?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Needs more cleaning?
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:11 pm »
I've been messing around very gently with this coin.  My question(s) is(are): can I clean this further without damaging the coin?  Is it a worn coin or is it a "soft strike", particularly on the rev?  How can you tell the difference between the last two? 
My coin BTW is a Probus, is it not, with Sol driving a quadriga on the rx?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Douglas

Re: Needs more cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:36:56 pm »
You are correct on the coin type: Probus with a quadriga reverse.

As far as if you can go further, it's hard for me to tell from the photo without the coin in hand. If it were my coin I would try some mechanical cleaning under the microscope. You can tell right away what you have without doing any serious damage. What have you done so far to clean this?

Doug

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:44:19 pm »
Olive oil soak, 3 gentle brushing with a toothbrush and just one light touch of Dremel SBBB.  In hand, the coin seems much smoother than on the picture and the patina is a taupe colour but might be very thin.  If it's worn or a light strike, the more I wear away at the patina is not going to help me obtain greater detail.  It went back into the olive oil as I ponder...
Raymond   
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:05 pm »
I would leave it since it looks like you got all of the dirt off. A short DW wouldn't hurt.

-Adam

All coins are guaranteed for eternity