Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: advice required on coins with multiple colors for patina  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
advice required on coins with multiple colors for patina
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:14:42 am »
I could use some advice on coins that have more than 1 color showing for patina  as far as cleaning goes

for example the coin attached to this has  black, green and brown spots on the reverse . all appear to be patina but could be some kind of dirt or mineral deposit

they are in layers with the brown at the bottom then a mix of green/black blotches on top

do I clean to the brown color , or do I stop when I hit green ?

I really don't want to mess up this one as the details are fantastic ( looks a lot better in hand)

the coin is still unattributed VLPP from constatine I ( the great)
with   :Greek_epsilon:sis  :dot: and an S in the altar

thanks for any advice

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: advice required on coins with multiple colors for patina
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:18:55 am »
here is a clearer pic

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:40:34 pm »
I would clean around the brown because from my experience it is extremely hard to remove and it usually ends up damaging the coin away.

-Adam

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:42:59 pm »
Thanks Awl

I was picking away at it and I have to agree

strip it right down to the brown patina is gonna be tricky. I really don't want to wreck this one. I see why Victor has a liking for these vlpp very nice craftmanship with lots of detail

on an other note,  what causes the patina to go to different colors  in this case green and brown,  The black is encrusted dirt and is flaking off
minerals in the ground ? different metals in the coin ?

Mark Farrell

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:47:05 pm »
Different patinas can be caused by almost anything, including soils, moisture, and the coin itself.

In the case of "brown patina", be very, very careful. that is toning that is probably just above the bronze -- the substances that form first after a coin is minted, such as copper sulfides, are brown or black and it is only later that the green stuff starts to form. If you are hitting brown, you are very, very close to the metal of the coin.

My personal experience is that when coins have such varied surfaces, mechanical cleaning is the only way to go. Otherwise, any chemical treatment, and DW is a chemical treatment, affects all the parts of the coin equally, which is not what you want -- you want to focus on specific areas, I would think.

Mark

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »
Thanks Mark and sorry for the delay in reply

All coins are guaranteed for eternity