Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions? First cleaning attempt ever.  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Opinions? First cleaning attempt ever.
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »
Hello! This is the first Roman coin I ever attempted to clean and attribute. Its a follis of Constantius II, Thessalonica mint. I cleaned it using a few soaks trumpet valve oil (rinsed once a day in tap water) and a light pipe-cleaner style brush. How did i do? Where do i go from here?

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Opinions? First cleaning attempt ever.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:53 pm »
Ave!

Hello! This is the first Roman coin I ever attempted to clean and attribute. Its a follis of Constantius II, Thessalonica mint. I cleaned it using a few soaks trumpet valve oil (rinsed once a day in tap water) and a light pipe-cleaner style brush. How did i do? Where do i go from here?

Excellent coin, but your trumpet valve oil ain't worth squat...and I know, as I once played with Maynerd Ferguson.

As seen in your pix, the details are quite sound, meaning hard. A DDDP #1 and a SBBB will reveal all.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »
and what do those letters mean? I told you I'm a newbie!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:04:32 am »
That's what I was thinking: it's just like initials for all the old aches and pains, to sell the medicines.  One of them is diamond-dusted dental pick, and I'm not sure of the other.  Maybe soft-bristled brass brush?
Also, you have Thessaloniki in your exergue, and I haven't, so I only THINK mine is Thessaloniki, but this is my very favorite FEL TEMP REPARATIO centenionalis.
Have fun.  The guys will help you to liberate yours from that stuff.
Pat L.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:26 am »
It was a GREAT first cleaning job. Why? Because you got the coin clean enough to attribute clearly and you did NOT over clean it! The biggest problem new cleaners have is stopping in time!!!

That said, the next opportunity to kick it up a notch on this coin is to reduce the green mineralization / crusty stuff. You can either do that chemically -- I do use chemicals for this sometimes, however I wouldn't in this case because you are getting very close to exposing metal on the left half of the obverse. Soaking the coin at this stage in something that eats the greenies may easily affect the parts of the coin that are in good shape. So, in this case, what do you do?

You have to get mechanical. This means that - using tools like those mentioned by MD, as well as others -- to gently grind away the green stuff under magnification. If you are very careful, you will expose more detail in the legends, on the bust, and on the reverse. Even if more detail isn't actually uncovered, by reducing the green stuff, you seemingly make the detail stand out more.

By far the easiest way to do this for beginners is to slowly grind away at them using an abrasive tool that is designed for this purpose -- that is important. The DDDP is one such, and I use mine every time I clean a coin. There are other options -- you can use a diamond dusted Dremel bit and either hold it in your hand or put it into a pin vise -- you do NOT have to only use those bits in a Dremel -- many, many options with those. I, personally, at this point would go after the greenies with a scapel. It is just the way I like to do it -- it is VERY peaceful to me to sit and gently pick those things off, but be advised it is much slower than the grinding route. I personally think you can get a better result, but it is really six of one, half dozen of the other.

Another advantage of the grinding route is that you can use much cheaper magnification, like 3X provided in a desktop lamp/magnifier combo. They are pretty cheap and available at many office supply and hoppy stores. To get very serious with scalpels and some of the more arcane tools, you really have to use a binocular/stereo microscope of 10x, which frankly can easily run a couple of hundred bucks (my advice is to start more cheaply, spend the savings on more uncleaned coins to get even more practice in).

I'm not a big fan of pipe cleaner brushes... There is actually a pretty good, soft brass brush that helps with these greenies (available from MD, but needs a Dremel). I also have a couple of the Nik-a-brushes that I like (no one gasp, please, you use what works). Otherwise, use a firm, nylon bristle toothbrush and cut the bristles down to about half length. I think you will like that better.

Write back if you need more info or suggestions.

Mark

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:38:59 pm »
Ah! Forgot to mention that i was using a cut down toothbrush. all these diamond dusted tools seem very nice, but it feels a little bit like overkill for a one dollar coin... Are there any more, ahhh, household items that could be used?

Circus_Maximus

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
the diamond tips are only a few bucks.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:46:28 pm »
BTW, Pat -  nice coin! I really like the contrast between the fields and devices.

Mark

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:50:54 pm »
Pat, by using Helvetica's lists and the process of elimination with your field marks, I believe yours is actually Siscia: RIC VIII Siscia 327. Of course we have no idea what officina it is from. These late Romans with their field marks often can make a coin attributable if not just to a city, but even narrower by RIC number. Nice coin!

Ardatirion, if this is the only coin you're ever going to clean then it's probably not worth your while to buy anything to clean this further, but rather to attribute it and leave it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I clean coins for the enjoyment I get out of it, the sense of discovery, the history I learn from doing it, and the self satisfaction from doing a good job and preserving (not ruining) a piece of ancient history. It's a hobby, and it's fun. Perhaps we're crazy for spending time and money cleaning and preserving what might be an inexpensive coin, but there are much more valuable reasons (to me) for doing this than the money involved.

Doug

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 06:24:49 pm »
 I get my Diamond dusted dremel bits here. http://www.widgetsupply.com/ thet are cheap and fast with mailing.Buy the bits with the finest grit to start with.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:21 pm »
The coin still has a considerable amount of dirt so I would just use a brass brush and switch to a pin vise.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity