Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Shekel Year 1 Authentication  (Read 1622 times)

bythevineyard

Shekel Year 1 Authentication
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:38:58 pm »
My wife inherited her grandfather's coin collection

There is a year 1 shekel in it that I would like to get authenticated.  This shekel is in extrememly good condition, and with all of the authentic coins that are with it, I cannot imagine that this one is a fake.

Who is the best person to do this?  What is the process?

Thanks!

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
Re: Shekel Year 1 Authentication
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:09:45 pm »
You could start by posting a picture here.  There are many experts on this board who could help you out.  If you want a professional opinion, there are a few options.  David Hendin is one of the best experts in the field, but I don't know if he does authentications.  You should email him.  His book says his email is dhendin@aol.com

Other places require payment, and I don't know if they do Judaean coins.  David Sear has the most well known and respected authentication service.  It costs $40.  http://www.davidrsear.com/certification.html

but you should start with a picture here.

hope this helps!

bythevineyard

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 03:34:02 pm »
A couple of photos, as well as a couple of the other coins that were in with the shekel.

Thanks for looking.  This is the shekel that I am trying to authenitcate.

Dave

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 06:19:02 pm »
If you can list the weight and size it would help.  Your coin is a die match for a known fake, hendin F655a.2, which is listed in his book not kosker.  However, that being said, many cast fakes of shekels are from known real shekels, so a die match of a known fake doesn't totally rule out a legitimate coin.  Just from the photo I can't say the coin is real or not.  If the weight is low that would be a bad sign.  To me the coin doesn't quite look right, but from the photo I can't be more specific.
Ronn

bythevineyard

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 05:13:34 pm »
I couldn't come up with a scale that would show decimals for grams.  The one that I do have read 14g for the weight.

The diameter is between 22.5mm and 24mm depending on which part you measure.

Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity