Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Microscopes and their use  (Read 1864 times)

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Microscopes and their use
« on: December 18, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »
I am thinking about investing in a microscope for cleaning coins.  Can someone with experiance using them give me some pointers about what is important on the microscope.  Is stereo worth having (depth).  Do you need one with a boom on it.  What magnifications(20X, 30X)are mostly used.  I have seen the microscopes for all different prices and uses and would really like some info from someone who uses them.  If this is already a topic on forum somewhere please point me toward it.

Thanks
Pete Peters

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
Re: Microscopes and their use
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:17:18 pm »
I think a binocular microscope is invaluable for cleaning coins.  It also comes in very handy for examining very small details, and you can take digital photos through the eyepieces.

10X-20X is plenty for just about anything you'd want to do with coins.  40X is a little much, at least for me.  And you'll want an integral lighting source, or a very bright table lamp.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:23:58 pm »
Thank you Varangian.

I am thinking this may be my christmas present to myself.

Pete

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:08:17 pm »
I also believe a binocular microscope is a must for the really nitpicky cleaning of coins. You really dont need much more than 10x because you can see everything you need to at this magnification. The finest needle you can find (embroidery needle) looks like a club. You can always buy higher power eye pieces if you think you need them. These are not too very expensive on Ebay. Just remember, many coins are cleaned using cheap monocular loupes also. I personally like a binocular type headpiece at 7.5x called an "optivisor" for most of my work, as it keeps both hands free. If you really need to get up close and personal, you won't go wrong with either of these. It is more a question of what you can afford, a Yugo, a Chevy, or a Lexus.
                                                                               Regards

Chuck T

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
This is Russian MBS-10 microscope.Perfect microscope for coin cleaning.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity