Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BRONZE DISESASE? I live in fear!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
BRONZE DISESASE? I live in fear!
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:22:36 am »
Hi all --

I am familiar with Bronze disease on modern coins; not sure on ancients... and I am sort of worried about this one that arrived today! I poked at it a bit with a toothpick.... no powder came off... but would like some opinions! 

Bronze Disease... I hate it!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

bruce61813

Re: BRONZE DISESASE? I live in fear!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:52 pm »
Looking at the pits, I suspect that it is BD. Under the fuzzy green, BD will form a hard type as it progresses, and will be pale, almost a white, green. I would treat this now, you will have some pitting, but it won't progress. I had though about using one of the compunds used for re-storing wood that has been dry rotted. I  [in theory] would soak into the green area and harden it[ one type is called "wood petrifier"], also make it water proof so no further moisture could be absorbed. The main draw back is that it would be one way as far as I can tell, but I have not tried it as of yet. I would go for the standard treatment at this point.

Bruce

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:57:28 am »
Thanks, Bruce....

Yes, I believe it is BD - I tried a pin on one of the pits, rather large bits of green powder surfaced.  Have begun treatment... hope I can save it!

Your idea about wood compound sounds interesting!  If you try it, let me know how it works!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Bohemond

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:45:33 am »
Dub in distilled water, change every other day and continue for a few weeks and it should be fine. Good luck!

And you are not the only one who hates BD ;)

Bohemond

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:33:40 pm »
Bohemond -

Thanks for the reply!  The coin is soaking now!  It's not very valuable... but I like it.  Hope I can save it!  I just hate the thought of something that old suddenly being destroyed!  I will be sending for some of the sodium carbonate chemical to further treat if necessary!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

bruce61813

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:07 pm »
those pits don't look to  deep, but they wiil be raw looking. After treatemnt, leave the coin in a sunny spot and exposed to the air, or put it in the oven at about 250 for 30 minutes or so, especially a gas oven, it will accelerate oxidation and trurn the surface a bit browner.

Bruce

All coins are guaranteed for eternity