Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bad cleaning idea  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Springbank

• Praetorian
  • Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords.
Bad cleaning idea
« on: October 12, 2006, 02:41:49 pm »
I saw a large number of ancient coins at a local flea market a week or two ago.  The seller had "cleaned" them in a virbratory tumbler.  I think he used walnut shells as media, and the coins were badly over cleaned.  Bright and shiny.  He had a few uncleaned crusties that I almost bought out of pity, but his price was too high. 
"The gods are on the side of the stronger."

-- Tacitus

peterpil19

Re: Bad cleaning idea
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:22:05 pm »
I haven't heard of anyone who uses this technique with much success. It is a shame about the coins.

Peter

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:49:29 pm »
Those vibrating tubler and walnut media are good for polishing brass small arms casings for reloading, but for coins, no way! I took some copper pennies and tubled them with nothing but the coins and soapy water just to see how much wear would occur from coin on coin contact only. I ended up with pennies that looked as if they had first been carried daily in a packet for a century then sand blasted. "Coins" should only be used in the same sentence as "tumblers" when buying a tumbler.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 04:55:48 pm »
I've had coins which appeared to have been 'cleaned' by thins method; they had the highlights rubbed raw, while the fields were still uncleaned. They needed cleaning, then careful treatment with Deller's to disguise the rawness.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity