Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Here's the Germanicus I found in an uncleaned lot  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Here's the Germanicus I found in an uncleaned lot
« on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:15 am »
I had to zap it, unfortunately, it was very crusty and had that calcitic deposit that wouldn't respond to much. One of those lost cause coins. I could see the legend a bit, and didn't see any signs of red corrosion that would leave pits. So I carefully and slowly put it through a series of slow electrolysis treatments in a weak solution of Sodium Carbonate, about 4 volt current, just enough to see if I could zap off the major calcitic build up. It came out pretty good for a zapped coin, I managed to keep some of the patination , but did have to hit it with some Jax. There is an area on the portrait that will nopt respond to the Jax despite having been cleaned and cleaned and degreased and dried. Oh well.

So here's an ugly coin, but for a zapped coin that was a lost cause crusty, not too bad...

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
Re: Here's the Germanicus I found in an uncleaned lot
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:20:44 am »
looks like it came out rather nice...I might have to use similar methods on a few of my coins that have REAL tough encrustation that are not responding at all to normal cleaning...if they come out half as good as this I would be happy.

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:28:52 am »
It looks quite nice actually! Just curious, how long did you zap it for?

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:32:08 pm »
Quote from: Scipio Helveticus on September 20, 2006, 11:28:52 am
It looks quite nice actually! Just curious, how long did you zap it for?

I let it zap for about a minute, them worked it woth a diamond dusted dental pick where the heavy crust was. I had to leave some of it on around the legends on the obverse about 12 o clock and 7 o clock. On the reverse, it was one sheet of crust, after zapping a few more times with a very low setting (4v) for a few minutes each, it loosened the surface bon between the metal and the crust. I was able to pick the crust off carefully. Of course the zapping did reveal and eliminate the few red blooms that were UNDER the crispy crust that I couldn't see, which was my fear. Normally I find the red corrosion to be huge patches that ruin the coin, zapping takes all the red crust off pretty quick leaving a gaping hole. Fortunately you can see there were only a few patches of red corrosion and some small pinhead sized blossoms throughout. Unfortunately they leave pits and holes behind, the largest is on the obverse just below and to the left of the C. That's the risk in zapping but even the dremel and diamond dusted dremel bits wouldn't work this coin successfully.

I am also happy that the coin looks better in hand, the shine from the wax makes every irregularity magnify its presence by degrees, while not a pretty coin, it will make it into my collection. :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity