Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TSP question  (Read 1331 times)

Offline feltemp68

• Legionary
TSP question
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:06 am »
This may be a dumb question, but I am trying to teach myself how to do this whole cleaning thing through other folks' website instructions and don't have the luxury of apprenticing firsthand at an expert's side.  A lot of people say that a solution of TSP powder mixed with hot water is a good thing to clean oil-soaked coins in for 5-10 minutes before scrubbing and I have tried this.  In the mixtures I made, I can never really get the TSP powder to dissolve.  After 30 seconds of stirring the powder in the hot water and the coins, I end up with a little mountain of white powder dropping down to the bottom of the container and covering the coins.  Is this the way it is supposed to act?  Or am I putting too much powder in the water or not getting the water hot enough?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: TSP question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:39:16 am »
Hmm... I have not really experienced this, The TSP usually dissolves pretty easily for me. I suspect you may be using to much and exceding the waters saturation point. I use about two teaspoons in 4-6 cups of hot tap water. The water is usually hotter than you could comfortably keep you hands in for more than a second or two.

Hope this helps?
Jerome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity